Are there any techniques (other than cutting off drinks a hour before bedtime and waking up 3+ times to take him to the bathroom, & using pull ups) for getting my 3 year old to stop wetting the bed?

I have tried using pull-ups at night in the past. When I do this, my toddler becomes so dependent on the pull-up and just goes too freely! He doesn't even mention the word "bathroom" when he wears them. I want him to use the bathroom on his own overnight. Am I being too pushy?

Momgul

Asked by Momgul at 11:10 AM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yes, I think you're rushing it a bit, or a lot especially since he's a boy. Three yrs old is very young to expect consistency in night-time training. 3 yr olds have difficulty being consistent during the day!! I would give him time--plenty of it--he's young and he won't be in pull-ups forever, I guarantee it. Be patient with him, pushing him too much may just make him feel bad about something he really can't control. I think it can be quite normal for some kids to need protection at night even into their school years. It will happen eventually.
    natersmom76

Answer by natersmom76 at 11:21 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• My son was still having accidents at night up u ntil he started preschool, this past fall. And he will be 5 on March 19th. Sometimes it takes a while. Key is being patient.
    Gchborthwick

Answer by Gchborthwick at 11:18 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• i'm glad you asked this, i was going to! my son is the same way, and it's driving me crazy, i've tried cutting off all liquids past a certain time and it never works, some nights he's dry, others he's not, my daughter was so much easier! i guess i'll be more patient :)
    kyuteangl88

Answer by kyuteangl88 at 2:53 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Keep using the pull-ups at night. Eventually he won't pee at night, but if you keep making abig deal about it, it may make the situation worse. He'll stop when he's ready. Just have patience and try to think about something else. He's just a lil kid. :)
    TwilightMack

Answer by TwilightMack at 9:22 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Waiting for time to go bye. Some boys just don't become fully night trained for a long time.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:14 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• My daughter is 10 and still wets the bed at night. Some do it right of and some have trouble with it. Maybe try waking him up at midnight to use the bathroom.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:26 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Honestly, some boys do not fully night train until they go through puberty. A lot of boys just simply sleep to soundly.
    Be patient, do not punish,change the sheets (invest in a plastic mattress cover) and if you feel like something is wrong, take him to a urologist.
    Anonymous

• I really wouldn't be concerned at his age. Bladders need time to mature. You'll know when he's ready when his pull up starts being dry. Also I'd limit the drinks an hour before bed.
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 9:51 PM on Mar. 7, 2011