Proper cleaning of an uncircumcised boy

I know when my son was an infant all the baby books told me not to pull back the foreskin at all but now that he is 2 1/2, how should I go about cleaning him properly?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:49 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is five and the group I joined on here called Raising Intact Boys says not to push the skin back at all. So keep doing what you are doing.

My son is still not retracted either. Apparently it can take until they are a teen.

I highly reccomend joining this group because I have had more than a few penis questions and they are always helpful.
    thisnametaken

Answer by thisnametaken at 10:59 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Some dr's say not to pull the skin back, some say do.
    I would if it were my son. Just do it when he takes his bath. As you are bathing him just use the rag to do it. That's what I was told to do before my boys got circumsized. If you do it on a regualr basis when he gets a bath, then he will eventually learn to do it hisself as he gets older. It will just come naturally......if you don't plan to him done.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 11:00 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• DO NOT pull the skin back until it's able to do so freely on it's own. It's self cleaning and any goo will work it's way out. My son had to be straight catherized and a VCUG when he was 2 mos old and the fore skin had to be pulled back to allow access, in about 2 days the lube used to insert the catheters and the sticky contrast dye from the VCUG worked themselves out. In fact, after the VCUG the doctor and the nurse made sure I knew not to retract it.
    AudreyJ

Answer by AudreyJ at 11:02 PM on Nov. 21, 2008