Ultrasound Wrong?

I read that gender prediction by ultrasound can be wrong 20% of the time, but I've never known anyone who had their baby guessed wrong. Anyone ever have the ultrasound tech tell you it is a boy (or girl) and end up with the opposite gender?

fancyjane

Asked by fancyjane at 11:14 AM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Pregnancy

• My 3rd child was supposed to be a boy - she was 200% positive, and I saw boy parts too. We obviously saw something wrong because 18 weeks later, out popped a girl! (We knew we didn't see the umbilical cord, as it wasn't between her legs - she checked that out!). One of my friends was pregnant at the same time as her cousin - it was the first child for both of them. One was told boy, one was told girl. They both decorated accordingly, bought all gender-specific things, etc - they both birthed the opposite of what they were told.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Depends on what week it was done. Before 20 weeks its very difficult to say

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:15 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• All four of mine were pretty dead on! But my cousin was told she was having a girl. They had to re paint the room! lol
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:15 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Not me personally. However my mom is a NICU nurse and she told me how a mother was so upset that she had a baby girl when she was told it was a boy! The nursery was already done in blue and she already washed the boy clothes.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 11:16 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I've never had it happen to me, but I know someone it has happened to. Was supposed to be a boy the whole time, when she had the baby it was a girl. Only person I know who that happened to though.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 11:26 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Mine was right but my sister had more than one ultrasound with all three of her kids and the doc said girls every time. She has three boys.

SweetOrangeMama

Answer by SweetOrangeMama at 11:30 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I've known 2 people how were told wrong. One had her u/s done at 21 weeks! I think it depends a lot on the tech doing it, how cooperative your little one is being, and the week you have it done. We never found out with either kids. It was so much fun hearing our doctor tell us, it was so exciting!
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:30 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• The ultrasound tech told us not to go out and buy all blue, but she told us we were having a boy. And she was right.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 1:39 PM on Mar. 7, 2011