Does any one else think that Karate for a 4 yr old is just too much?

My son had seen a karate comercial on tv and has been begging me to do it. So we took him to two different places for a free trial and I did not like either of them and my son just staired at the kids with no emotion on his face. None of the children were smiling, they were all so seriouse and yelling. The instructors were very young and there appearance was a little odd (they had orange hair dye with some other colors). I just did not feel that it was appropriate to put him in somthing so strict/structured at this time, I want him to have fun while hes young. So we decided to put him back in the Little Gym gymnastics class and then he will be starting T-ball this summer.

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 11:29 AM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think it's the perfect time to start Karate, Let him do it!
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 11:30 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• depends on the place, my dd is 4 and just started a karate class and for the younger ones they just let them do the moves the best they can it's really cute lol
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:31 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• My son did karate at age 4. I thought it was great. What does their haircolor or their age have to do with it? Karate is about discipline and strength. He was probably just lost becuase it was his first time. He'd probably get into it if it was regular. Correct me if Im wrong, but I'm getting the strong inclination you just don't like Karate period, and you may be looking for negatives.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:32 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I think if its enjoyable for the child..then theres nothing wrong with it. But from what you say, its not something he was really enjoying at the time. Try again in a couple years if he's still interested. I think its great excercise..a great way for the little ones to make some from, its good for discipline, gives children something to focus on...but again..only if they are interested in it.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:33 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• **make some friends** sorry for the typo,lol
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:34 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Continue searching for a karate instructor you and your child feel comfortable with.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 11:34 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• if its something he seems interested in & i could afford it, i would let him try it. if he expressed he wasn't having fun then i would find another activity he might enjoy. i personally dont have any problems with karate, its fun and keeps kids moving. but there are so many activities out there and you might just have to find the right one for him.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:35 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I think it would be a great time to get started.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:38 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• It's the perfect time to do it. My uncle is a triple black belt and teacher. He taught me and says it's a great time to start my son.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 11:46 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Thank you for all the responses, Im not a big karte fan cause I dont like violence and they teach them to fight but its more of what my son wants to do in this case and not me. However his face said it all when he was watching them punch and kick and yell. Hes so young and and I did not see anything fun about that class and plus he needs more socialization then that because thats the other thing, the kids were quiet untill they had to yell and repeat what the instructor was saying. And for the hair thing, It just showed a sign of immaturity to me and the same place had called me and left a message checking to see if we were going to attend and he had to hang up in the middle of his message cause he was laughing so hard at what a guy was saying in the background. I rather my children look up to someone that has it more togeather and is a mature.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Comment by LANDENSMOMMYlmk (original poster) at 11:52 AM on Mar. 7, 2011