Pagans, St. Patrick's Day?

My Sisters,

How do you deal with St. Patrick's Day? 

www.patheos.com

I'll be raising my green beer to Brighid instead...

ETA:  Who will *YOU* be raising your glass to? 

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 11:30 AM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I will not wear green. I do not celebrate it. My heritage is Scottish, not Irish. I tell everyone, you pinch me, I'll punch you.
    Then with the historical reasons of it, I have no desire to celebrate a day of victory for Catholicism vs. the native religion.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 12:29 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I will acknowledge Druid Genocide Day for what it is: the systematic murder of a group who chose not to assimilate to the trend of the times.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 7:55 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• For some one who says thier "not panicking" You sure do get all wound up. Calm down...geeeze

And who are you, exactly?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:25 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Having a catholic husband it is recognized and celebrated in our home. BUT........in all honesty, its very generic. You ask most catholics who St. Patrick really was and they dont know the history........they say "he drove the snakes out of Ireland". Thats all they know. To most Americans, St. Patricks is just another reason to drink beer, eat to much and dress in green :).

Also, my family is Scot/Irish. So........ its apart of who I am. St. Patrick did do wonderful things for the people and some of the history is dark and brutal, but...........so is any history really. Those times were brutal. Even the Pagans fed a few christians to the lions.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 11:44 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• St. Patty's Day is called just that..St Patty's not Patrick... we don't celebrate it for
    religious reasons, never have and I never shall...it is for this household, all for fun...
    nothing more or less...

As the OP stated...
    Blessed Be
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:17 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I am a very Proud Irish woman here! **Just for the sake of argument, REAL IRISH wear orange!**
    I tend to spend the day celebrating by making some old family recipes, paying honor to my heritage through song and games (with the kids) and continuing my research in to my Celtic past!

I use it more as a day to celebrate being Irish and less as a day to think about any specific deity/saint.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:15 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Just for the sake of argument, REAL IRISH wear orange!

Real Irish support a paramilitary supremacist organization devoted to worshiping an invader from another country who led the systematic slaughter of native Irish? The orange comes from Holland. If you're orange Irish, you're swearing your loyalty to the Dutch. I'm surprised someone so devoted to religious tolerance would even consider loyalty to an anti-Catholic hate group.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:33 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Hmmmm I always thought the orange ribbon on St. Patricks day was a Scottish thing. I worked with a Scottish women and she always wore an orange ribbon.

The orange order is big in Scotland and other countries.  This is a pretty neutral write up on them.  Obviously, a pro-orange site insists they are all innocent and nothing is their fault, while pro-IRA sites call them satan incarnate.  The simple truth is that they are the other half of the IRA equation.  They are the counter-band of political extremists who kill Catholics and gloat about it later, just as some IRA factions kill protestants and gloat about it later.  You can be protestant without being orange.  You can be Irish without being orange.  Choosing orange would be similar to someone here choosing to support a pro-Confederacy group.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:45 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I like the idea of focusing on a God/dess of Ireland. But, in our house, we'll also be focusing on Irish heritage, making an Irish dinner & making Irish potatoes, etc. My son ("step") & I are both part Irish & I thought it would be nice to celebrate something we share, even though before now I never really celebrated it.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 12:31 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• yeah, sissy, because it's either or, the only way to enjoy your life is to make light of centuries of atrocities.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 11:22 PM on Mar. 8, 2011