Breast feeding question

I've been trying to breastfeed my twins, but it's not going well. One of the reasons is that my one breast has an inverted nipple, and it's always cracked or breeding, and breastfeeding is very painful. The other side is perfectly fine.

So, I was wondering whether I can continue to breastfeed only one side. Does anyone know if it's possible? One can dry up, but the other can produce milk? If anyone knows, please let me know. Thanks!

Meachan

Asked by Meachan at 11:40 AM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nipple shield! thats what they are called!lol
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:47 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Have you tried pumping or using a nipple shield on the other side?
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:46 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I do believe they sell these little plastic things that go on your nipple to help with problems like inverted nipples.I forget what they are called. I'm sure someone on here will know.
    Good Luck!
    kimberlyinberea

• A breast shell might help with the inversion. But yes, one breast can be done.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:48 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I've been using nipple shields for quite a while. One baby can't take it, but the other can. But for some reason, it doesn't look like he can drink as much as he can without the shield, so I take it off half way into the feeding. I don't know if that's the reason for the pain. I also pump regularly. Right now, I'm considering either pump only or quitting. Or if possible, one side breast feeding. I'm really not happy about that, but I can't take the pain which is getting worse any more.
    Meachan

Comment by Meachan (original poster) at 1:00 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• My baby had to get her tongue clipped because she was tongue tied and it made it difficult for her to suck and caused my nipple to crack and bleed and made me become engorged. I would try just pumping, thats what i decided to do
    kristina.de

Answer by kristina.de at 1:09 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Try using a breast shell.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 3:40 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• the cracking, pain, etc. can be dealt with a lanolin cream. it really worked great for me. i used a nipple shield and it really worked for me, i would get some (forgive me, i can't remember what it's called, but it was 100% pure medical grade lanolin). it worked great.i would keep trying to feed from that side to avoid engorgement and possibly infection. you can also consult a lactation consultant....call your ob/gyn or the hospital and they will refer you!

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:19 PM on Mar. 7, 2011