Do you think breast milk makes your baby pudgier than those on formula?

My 5 monthold baby is a pudge monster! lol..but he's cute so its alright. He's very healthy.
Anyway...this comment was made to about him over this weekend;
"Oh...your too big, you need to stop eating mommys milk"
grrr...see...yet again..ANOTHER comment about my breast feeding.
Why does this bother some people so much? Its not like I'm filling up a glass and handing it to people and having them drink it..I just feed my baby.

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 11:44 AM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They grow to their genetically programmed weight. Some are pudgy, some are lean.

Ignore the ignorant.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:47 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• i actually thought breastfed babies tend to weigh less? i dont think it matters either way, some babies are chunks and then tend to lose their baby fat when they start walking, regardless of breastmilk or formula. i had a 10 pounder at birth and she was chubby up til she turned 1, now at 2 she's of average weight. she was formula fed. maybe this person was just ignorant & butthurt that you breastfeed your baby and was trying to subtly say that you should stop. let comments like this roll off your back.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:49 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• My boys were skinny and breastfed. My sil's children ere breastfed and super fat. We use to joke that I had the skim milk and she had the heavy cream.

It really just depends on the kids, like everything else.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:51 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• no, he is perfecty fine! (and so are you!)
    malkaTZ

Answer by malkaTZ at 11:47 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Ignore the idiot. Breastfed babies learn what full is easier than bottlefed babies. When a nursing baby is full s/he will unlatch and refuse to relatch. A bottlefed baby (potentially) will get the last ounce or so of formula jiggled into an already full tummy.

I think you're doing just fine Momma, as long as you and your doctor are agreed that he's healthy and proportional pay no attention to what other's say. I actually had to tell WIC to stuff it over my son. He had had a doctor's appointment on a Monday, we had a WIC appointment later in the week. The Doc said he was fine even though he was in the 95% for height and weight. WIC told me a needed to stop feeding my child so much because he was too big. That was the last WIC appointment I ever went to.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:54 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• no, my dd was ff and she was a chunk, my ds was ff too and he was slim
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:48 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• he is fine..i breastfed my daughter and i grant you she was some size...lol every would keep asking what i was feeding her cause they dident believe that it was just breastmilk i was giving her...she is a very happy and healthy 2 year old now... I would just egnore the ignorant people . I do think that breastfed babies are chunkier then formula fed babies cause they are getting more nutrients then what is in the formula :)
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 11:51 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Thats funny cause formula is more fattening then our milk. However it depends on your child cause both my children were nursed and one of them still being nursed and my 4 yr old son was so chunker when he was a baby but my daughter is the tiniest thing.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 12:00 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I Breastfed & my baby sure was wicket fat until she started walking at around 11 months. Once she started to walk, she leaned up real quick. She was a little cute fatty though when she was a baby. She is a bean pole now, super tall & lean.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:01 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• my doctor told me that a breast fed baby is actually skinnier! my son is breastfed and is in the 10th percentile for weight and the 80th for height so he's long and skinny! lol but i guess it's different for each baby cuz my sister's kid is breastfed and he's huge!!! he's in the 92 percentile for his weight. i think it just depends more o the kids genes versus breastfeeding or formula
    lashes325

Answer by lashes325 at 12:01 PM on Mar. 7, 2011