Outgrowing milk protein intolerance?

okay a little background..my son is 11 months old, since he was 6 weeks he was switched to a soy based formula (Allimentum). he is now on Isomil Soy. The pedi said he had a milk protein intolerance after they found blood in his stool at 6 weeks. I was told he will likely grow out of this by 1 year

ANYWAYS, he is now 11 months and she told me to start trying whole milk. So i have started with yo baby organic whole milk yogurt. He hasn't had any diarrhea, HOWEVER he has bowl movements at leasttt 10 times a day! which is alot for him (usually 3 a day) ..is this a sign that hes not reacting well? the dr said look for stool changes but they are normal just very frequent. Has anybody expeirenced this before? Hes not abnormally cranky, i dont think..its hard to tell at this age, when he was young i knew he would cry ALL the time, but now thats hes older he expresses himself differently, so im nervous this is hurting him and maybe i can't tell?

please share your experiences or advise?

dmdemes

Asked by dmdemes at 11:51 AM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son had this as well. He outgrew it by 6 mo.
    Have you changed anything else in his diet lately? More fiber? More veggies? more food all together?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:53 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• My son is now 3 and he is just starting to be able to digest milk proteins. We had him food alergy tested and MILK was a HUGE one. Dont push the milk on him, slowly introduce milk products. And I wouldnt start with full fat milk either. He is still too young yet to"outgrow" the allergy. My son still drinks Enhriched Rice Milk or Coconut Milk. My daughter is 9 and she still cant digest certain milk proteins, thankfully we know what they are and can avoid them. Let me know if you ned more info.
    malkaTZ

Answer by malkaTZ at 11:56 AM on Mar. 7, 2011

• yes i have def changed his diet..within the last month he wouldnt eat baby food anymore, so i started giving him all table food (with his allergy in mind obviously..nothing with milk in it except for the yogurt). could that be the reason for all the bowl movements?

malkaTZ what do you mean you had him food allergy tested? did you bring him to an allergist? my pedi just tested his stool at 6 wks and saw blood..he is fine on the soy and does well with it. so i thought maybe he had grown out of it and the milk would be fine..but im not sure if the frequent stools is a sign that he is not grown out or not?
    dmdemes

Comment by dmdemes (original poster) at 12:06 PM on Mar. 7, 2011