How do you find your father's family?

I have been looking for anyone who could tell me a bit about my father. My mother has a bad habit of lying and I don't know if I should have been so scared of him. Now the only person who will tell me anything didn't know him very well and says just about everyone is dead Including him. I feel so lost when I'm looking on the internet. Anyone I call acts weird or don't know anything. And I was told by that woman that she never knew he had any kids. So I guess there is no siblings I can ask. If you know of any research I can do it will be very helpful.

SashaDay81

Asked by SashaDay81 at 11:02 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

• I wish I could help, but I haver no idea. Hopefully someone on here has ideas. Good luck!
    You should find him if you can and find out for yourself to see what he is really like. Have to seen that show "The Locator"? Maybe he has a website? He finds people for his show.
    njt320

Answer by njt320 at 8:20 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• If you know his full name, maybe the police dept can help. If you know his ss#, you can look it up online to see if he is deceased. If you know anything at all about him(last place he lived, his parents name) thats a good start.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 11:01 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Call your local library and see if they have www.ancestry.com on their computers. It's expensive so you probably need to find them or go to the Latter Day Saints Genealogy Library in your community. They also have a website www.familysearch.org You can also go to free sites like www.genforum.com or www.usgenweb.com or even www.rootswebcom and go to their messageboards for your dad's last name. Post a query and I'm sure someone will guide you. Just put in the query exactly what you do know (name, any dates you have for him, last known residence). You could also see what the SSDI (social security death index ) has for him. Put SSDI in a search engine and it will take you to it. Just put in his name and state and it will bring up some information such as SS #, last known residence, where SS card was issued etc. Each piece of the puzzle helps.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• p.s. I would also go to www.zabasearch.com and put in his name to find out the places he's lived and possibly the names of women at that address (those addresses) to see if he had other wives or children.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:59 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• try www.searchbug.com
    hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 3:29 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• even his name ..will bring him up if he is dead, i can look up my dad by typin his name in
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 8:15 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Do you know when and where he died? You can call that city and ask for death records I think. That might be a good place to start. That's how I found out about some of my dad's family.
    TheDragn01

Answer by TheDragn01 at 10:34 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• THank you all for all the help with what I've learened from you and my Hubby being a bondsman I think we found something I'm going to the libary today to se if this is right. and any contacts that might be there. Thank you so much!!!
    SashaDay81

Answer by SashaDay81 at 11:23 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• You might ck the court records also if you know the town or city he came from. I feel for you my daughter in law has the same problem. Her mom has lied to her even the name was not right. Finally just lately she gave her a name so nw she doing more research for him or family members. Good Luck everyon should know what there roots are.
    Tinkerbell3396

Answer by Tinkerbell3396 at 11:04 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• My dad is really into ancestory.... he spends a lot of time at the library look up old newspapers and stuff like that... hes really good at he traced my family back to the days of oliver cromwell and the queen they called the blood mary. all those websites that people have listed above... i have tried to use and i havent seen them to work... you have to know about your family to get the information. Really the library is your best resource.
    edwinsmom2008

Answer by edwinsmom2008 at 5:35 AM on Nov. 27, 2008