Would you tell her or keep quiet?

A friend has named her baby Nimah (not yet registered birth) but definitely means for it to be pronounced "NEEVE", as in Niamh, and I think she's just got the spelling wrong.

I KNOW that you can spell your baby's name how the heck you like and put your own twist on it, but Nimah is already a girl's name, with a completely different pronunciation (pronounced "NEEMA", as it looks) so I don't know if she'll be upset if nobody dares say anything then gets it registered, or if she'll be more upset that her 'twist' on the spelling is being questioned..??

Twinminator

Asked by Twinminator at 12:01 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Baby Names

• I would be bring it up to her because she is definitely spelling it wrong. Niamh is pronounced "neeve" (occasionally pronounced "ni-ev"). It is the mh that produces the "v" sound in the Gaelic spelling. If you put an extra letter in between them then those letters no longer produce that sound, no matter how much she may want them too.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 1:26 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• If she was a good friend of mine I probably would mention something. That poor kid is going to go through so much shit with a name that's not pronounced the way it's spelled.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:06 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• How do you get NEEVE out of either of those names?

Your telling me Niamh is pronounced NEEVE?
    cassey.e

Answer by cassey.e at 12:17 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I'd tell her to pick a whole other name all together. And spell it how it sounds.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 12:37 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• If she's a good enough friend i would ask her hey how do you want it pronounced? if she says Neeve then kindly tell her i personally would spell it Niamh otherwise i think people would get confused. AND YES LADIES NIAMH IS PROOUNCED NEEVE... I'VE SEEN IT BEFORE AND IT'S A BEAUTIFUL NAME!!!
    lashes325

Answer by lashes325 at 12:38 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I would try to dissuade her. Not even a Gaelic speaker would look at that and see "Neeve," since she misspelled it.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 12:38 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Everyone will call her Neema. Even if she spelled it "Niamh". I would pronounce that Ni-am.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:13 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I would tell my friend. I mean, if the situation was the other way around and I was the one about to misspell/mispronounce my child's name, I would want someone to say something to me so I could give it a second thought.

poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 1:55 PM on Mar. 7, 2011