My 6 month old can't sleep without a paci...HELP

My sweet 6 month old can not fall asleep without a pacifier and she needs to have it put back in her mouth several times a night...like 5 to 8 times. I'm not sleeping, she's not sleeping well...we are hitting a wall. I don't know what to do. I want to break her of the paci, but I'm unsure how to do so. And is it too early to break her of it? Any suggestions? Any mom's out there that have ditched the paci with a kiddo around her age with success? I'd prefer not to do CIO, but I'm to the point where I'm willing to try anything.

npsimpson

Asked by npsimpson at 12:03 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know..my kids didn't stop using til they were 1..but y can't she put it back in herself..an y does it come out so often
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 12:06 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Soon she will be able to put it in her mouth by herself. I remember putting around 5 or 6 in the crib all around my son's head so he would be able to find one when he needed it. I think it's too soon to get rid of it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:06 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• My twins are two and still need on, purely to drop off with though. If your issue is the paci itself, don't worry about it yet, you've plenty of time to wean her off it.
    If it's the getting up to her that's the problem, it WILL get easier - as she has more control over her mouth she'll drop it less and less (and surely right now putting it back in is way better than the battle of wills trying to get her to sleep without it??) Plus you'll get VERY good at sleepwalking to her without it disturbing your sleep too much, you'll do it without thinking about it or remembering it, honest!
    Best advice I can give you is to have many many spares, plus a few more!, so you never have to worry where it's disappeared to!
    Twinminator

Answer by Twinminator at 12:08 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I am not sure that I can help, my son had a paci until he was 4. He only used it when he was tired because he has a severe case of eczema and if he scratched to much his skin would get infected so the doctor said we should let him keep it. With a 6 months old I don't think there is anything wrong with her needing it to fall asleep. I do think that if she looses it at night she should be able to go back to sleep without you having to get up and give her her paci back. I think I would try and let her cry for a little bit if she is waking up that much at night. I don't think there is anything wrong with letting her have it to fall asleep. I think if you take it away now then she might start sucking her thumb and that is a harder habit to break then a paic.

Good Luck!

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 12:10 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Very good point about the thumb
    Twinminator

Answer by Twinminator at 12:12 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• i like mompam's idea, put a lot of them in there so she can find one and put it back in herself. as far as breaking the habit altogether, you would have to resort to CIO at her age. its a comfort object for her and she will cry without it. my 13 month old still uses it at night and its easier for all of us if i just let her have it. i will try breaking it from her around 15-18 months, since she only uses it to sleep.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:12 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I wish I could help, but my son quit taking the pacifier around that age. My son preferred for me to pat his bottom and sing to him to put him to sleep, after he fell asleep then I would transfer him to his crib.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 12:24 PM on Mar. 7, 2011