Do you find yourself talking to your DM like she did when you were young?

I'm finding as my mother ages, there's a lot of role reversal. I'm speaking to her about subjects that she did to me when I was a younger person. I'm not demeaning at all, it's just unusual covering the same things she taught me. Sometimes it's age-related dementia stuff but other times it's like she's almost naive. What gives? She's in her 60's and it's things like relationships, health, common sense stuff....

Philly247

Asked by Philly247 at 12:30 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Relationships

• I do
    Sometimes I have to stop myself from talking to her like I do the kids.
    I think it is the mother comming out. I never do it to be mean it is just the way the tone of my concern comes out. It could be more my ten years of being a mother or it could be that my mother needs a little looking after too now that she is getting older.
    studentteach

Answer by studentteach at 2:26 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Even if I spoke to my bio mother, I probably wouldn't do that. But I'll never know.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 2:59 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• My mom is in her early 50's but we'll see!
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:03 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I guess what I mean is that I do not talk to her in a condescending way, just reminding her about things like telling the truth and when to go to the doctor's, why you don't leave the television on, why you should not go to certain places alone...Not like I'm talking baby talk or the like, just things she already knows or should know.
    Philly247

Comment by Philly247 (original poster) at 12:39 PM on Mar. 8, 2011