My son got diagosed with PDD, what is it?

Do any of you mom's have kids with PDD???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in General Parenting

• Since your son is 3 yrs old, the local school district is now responsible for him, not EI, so you need to call the local SD's special education department and tell them about your son's diagnosis and request services (preferably request in writing! b/c they have a timeline to follow to get things started). As for Medicaid, depends on the state you are in, so call and ask, or better yet, find parents local to you who have a child dx'd on the spectrum and ask them b/c they'll know waaaay more than anybody at the DPW. Also, you should apply for SSI for your son b/c he should qualify based on disability, but you must also meet SSI income guidelines to get funds for your son each month.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:32 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Pervasive developmental disorder. Which developmental delay was your child diagnosed with?
    pinkink

Answer by pinkink at 11:10 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• If your child was diagnosed, I am assuming a Dr. did the diagnosis and you didn't ask your Dr what it was? I'm not being rude but that would of been my FIRST question!
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 11:14 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Bump Brendamom
    jmdelan2

Answer by jmdelan2 at 11:16 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• don't freak completely out... but it's on the autism spectrum of diagnosis. usually not as severe as most ppl think of "autism"
    a.butler

Answer by a.butler at 11:24 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I took him to get checked for autism but the dr. told me he only has pdd which he said its not even close to autism, that hes very smart and listened to everything he said etc. so thank God he doesnt have autism, he gave him two different medications for pdd, one to calm down his hyperness and the other one to sleep at night.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Tips for Parents of Children Recently Diagnosed with PDD ...

Jun 22, 2006 ... Learning that your child has an Autistic Spectrum Disorder can send you reeling. Learn to confront the reality your family faces and make ...
    www.associatedcontent.com/article/38953/tips_for_parents_of_children_recently.html
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:39 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• UrbanBaby - My son was diagnosed with PDD today. Any... - Talk

3 posts - Last post: Jul 17

My son was diagnosed with PDD today. Anyone try the gluten-free diet with success for PDD? Any suggestions?
    vbruno

• Here's a great group on CM you might want to be a part of : http://www.cafemom.com/group/76/
    Also here's another great website: http://www.autism-pdd.net/ It's has a lot of info on PDD's. It has a forum and message board. It also has a search engine to find local support. It has info on workshops and conferences. Hope this helps.
    pinkink

Answer by pinkink at 10:47 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• To Anonymous 12:23 AM - I beg to differ w/the doc, b/c a child with PDD-NOS (which is what the dx is, not just PDD, as PDD is a category & PDD-NOS is the name of a dx in the PDD category) is a child that is showing some signs of having autism, but not enough to meet full diagnostic criteria, hence the Pervasive Developmental Disorder-Not Otherwise Specified diagnosis, which is a diagnosis on the Autism Spectrum. A child with this dx generally requires similar levels of services & supports as a child w/an Autistic Disorder dx. Children with autism are not all MR, can be social, and do listen, so those things have NOTHING to do with getting an autism vs. PDD-NOS diagnosis. To be honest, from what you have typed, it sounds to me like your doc is still in the dark ages of medicine. Cont. below....
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:58 AM on Nov. 22, 2008