Has anyone loss a parent?

I lost my father oct. 10, 2010. We were'nt really that close until the end of his life. It has been 5 months since he died. And I still cry every night. Antonio my son was his pride and joy and everytime I look at him..I cry. Should I get over it already? Why do I cry all the time?

teen_momma2010

Asked by teen_momma2010 at 12:49 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Relationships

• My mother died almost 10 years ago and I miss her every single day. It took me several YEARS to quit crying when I thought about her. Eventually you will be able to hold back the tears, don't let other people tell you when, just know that it will happen. I'm sorry for your loss.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:52 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• {**hugs**}

I've lost both of my parents. Dad passed five years ago. Four years for my mother. I still cry, though not all the time any more.

I'd call this normal, as long as your grief hasn't paralyzed you into doing nothing. You might find a copy of Elizabeth Kubler-Ross' book on death and dying. It will help you understand the process.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:52 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Both of my parents are now deceased, and I still miss them both something awful. Five months is not a very long time at all, so I think you may be expecting a little bit too much of yourself if you are thinking you should "be over it". And you very well may also be mourning all the time that you could have had with him while he was still living but didn't have.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:53 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• You may need to talk to a grief counselor and you could be suffering from situational depression.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:54 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• It took me a long time to get over my dad's death then my mom passed away. The anniversary of her death was last week and it was still hard.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:16 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Condolences on your loss

Answer by admckenzie at 1:17 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• My dad has been gone 8 yrs and I still have my moments when I cry. I could look at a picture, have a special thing going on and wish he was here, or just a song or smell or something we eat reminds me of him and I cry. I dont think you ever get over loosing a parent. I think you are fine. Grief takes time and it does get easier has the years go by but you still miss them terribly.
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 1:22 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• No you should not just get over it. It doesnt work that way. I lost my father in 2001, and still sometimes i have issues with his being gone. It is completely normal to grieve for a long time, its a process. Over time it will be easier but dont expect yourself to just get over it. I am so sorry about your loss and i hope you will be ok, but just give yourself time.
    2breath2live

Answer by 2breath2live at 1:23 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I lost my mom over 22 years ago and I'm 33. The first year after her death is still a blur. Everyone grieves differently so it's hard to say to anyone that should get over it much less when they should. But if you are having a hard time dealing with all those emotions, finding a counselor can be a good thing. Maybe you just need to talk it all out and haven't had the chance yet. For me, her birthday and the day she died are very hard for me. I still break into tears on those days every year. I think I will be doing so for the rest of my life. I am sorry for your loss and hope that you can find the peace in your heart so that you can heal and smile again.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 1:47 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I lost my mom two years this June. to cancer. It is very hard, especially when you are close to them. It gets easier, but it never goes away. I was in church this past Sunday and just started crying and missing her. It really saddens me when people don't get along with their parents, I would give anything for one more day with my mother. I'm here if you ever need me!!!!
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 2:23 PM on Mar. 7, 2011