Should I buy my son this game system?

My 4 year old love spider man. I can not seem to say no to him or any of my kids for that manner. I wanted to buy him a system for the tv but his dad said no. I seen this kid playing with an handheld playstation and asked his mom where she purchased it from. I told my husband that I am going to get my baby the handheld system, do you think a 4 year old should own something of this nature?

dubewife

Asked by dubewife at 12:54 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son was playing games on the computer by the time he was 2 yrs old and doing it well. I think if your son has the ability to actually use it then you should do it. By 4 my son was using the handheld systems and now that he is 11 he is above grade level in computer skills.

Answer by gemgem at 1:06 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• No. I think that decision should be something that both you and your husband agree on.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:56 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• No. I wouldn't get the PSP. MAYBE the DS because it does have more kids games - but even then, I probably would not. Leapfrog and vtech make several learning games, including handheld ones, for 3-7 year olds. I would recommend buying one of those over a traditional handheld gaming system. I think 4 is really too young for that.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 1:01 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• No, a 4 year old isn't typically responsible enough to possess such an expensive system. And if your husband has said, why would you go against his wishes - that is just one way to destroy a marriage.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:56 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• yeah the leapster is really good, my son did have that first before he outgrew it. all the games are educational. he had spongebob, cars, and sonic i believe.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 1:03 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I would go with the DS. It's great hand eye cordination.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 1:14 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• No. I bought my 7 year old a $200 DS this year for Christmas. It is lost now. She is very careful with her stuff, but we can't find it anywhere. I definitely think 4 is too young for that. Look on the computer. I bet you can find some games he can play.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:17 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Only learning games at that age, such as leapster.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 2:18 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• My daughter has a DSI, and she's 9. Kids are different now a days. I think it's o.k.
    TwilightMack

Answer by TwilightMack at 9:16 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• IMO. No

Answer by louise2 at 12:57 PM on Mar. 7, 2011