Is a 14month old to young to go to timeout?

My son who is 14months, likes to throw things and he has started throwing his toys and pretty much anything else at his dad and I. I don't want him to throw things, because he is going to hurt someone. So I asked his Doctor what would be a good way to discipline him when he throws something. He told me that I should put him in time out. I asked if I should give him a warning or tell him no and then put him in time out if he still does it. He said not to give him a warning or anything, to just put him in time out if he does it. I'm not sure if I agree with time out at his age. Is he really old enough for time out? And I'm really unsure about not giving him a warning or telling him no first. What are your opinions on this? Is he too young for timeout?

princessamber5

Asked by princessamber5 at 11:12 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That seems young to me to put in time out. But personally if I were going to, I would give a warning first. Maybe when you see him about to throw something, say 'if you throw that, you will go to time out'. But would he really understand? I have a 23 month old and I don't think he would know what I was talking about! When he throws things, I just take them away and tell him no. If that doesn't work, I do take him to his room to seperate him from whatever is going on. I don't think that's really a time out though.
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 11:26 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• that sounds like really poor advise personally. how is he supposed to learn without a warning or anything. I give my little one one or two nice warnings, and get sternner each time after the first one or two. after 3 or 4 she and sit in time out together and we talk about it. she will sit in my lap and i will tell her that she can not throw such and such because she could hurt us, herself or break something. it took a few weeks but she only has to be reminded occassionally now when she is super excited.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 11:29 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• i have tried the time out thing, my dd is 20 mo and i know she didnt understand what was going on. 1st time i sat her in a corner and she got up and left right away, next i sat her in her little chair and made her stay there for one minute, my dh put her in her crib one time, but i took her out, b/c i dont want her to think of her crib as a punishment, she loves her crib. so i wouldnt recommened time out, u could give it a try, but i dont think he would really understand what the reason why. now we just take the toy away and tell her no.
    carimo

Answer by carimo at 12:26 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• ummmm... your pediatrician is a douche. not the first apparently. throwing is what toddler boys do. they also hit, kick, punch, wrestle, and tackle. make a safe place where he can throw (we did a VELCRO wall with VELCRO balls (soft, made from fabric, cheap and easy!) and redirect him there everytime he throws. simply say, "that is not safe to throw, you can throw this over there". i just went to an AWESOME conference on the brain development of boys, google dan hodgins.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 12:44 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• My son is 17 months and at 14 months he was doing the same thing. My doctor suggested time-out with a warning and explanation first. When that did not work his playyard became his time-out spot and it worked. My son understands time-out very well. When he is in something that he should'nt' all i have to say is time-out and he moves to something that is acceptable to play with. My daughter is 15 years old and i used time-out with her. SPANKING IS UNACCEPTABLE! When using time-out get down on their level and explain why they are in a time-out. Enjoy!
    haveahappyday

Answer by haveahappyday at 4:30 PM on Nov. 22, 2008