What causes toilets to sweat?

I should know this, my husband does plumbing, but I don’t.
My toilet sweats 24/7, mold grows under it, I wipe it down 15 times a day, it’s embarrassing (obviously not to embarrassing since I’m posting it here - lol)

What causes it and how do I stop it?

Works4Mom.com

Asked by Works4Mom.com at 1:00 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Most of the time, toilets sweat because the water in the bowl is colder than the air in the bathroom - condensation - you can run the fan in your bathroom to remove the moisture from the air or change the temp of the air in the bathroom.

You could also have a fine spray leak from the hose connecting the toilet to the water that sprays when you sit....that would mean you need a new hose.

Good luck!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:07 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• too much moisture in your bathroom.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 1:08 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Toilet bowls sweat due to the fact that the air around the toilet is considerably warmer than the temperature of the toilet water. This creates condensation and causes the toilet to sweat. You can purchase an anti sweat toilet kit that will insulate the tank of your toilet and reduce condensation. These are relatively inexpensive, easy to install, & are effective. The liners are applied with an adhesive to the inside of the tank. They are nearly permanent, as they require plenty of force to remove. Most anti sweat toilet kits are universally sized & should fit the dimensions of most toilets. Some people prefer to increase the amount of warm water that flows to the tank. Will cont....
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 1:10 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• This is also effective since it reduces the amount of condensation by increasing the water temperature, however, it does utilize more energy and may increase your energy bill. Likewise, increasing your air conditioning can also reduce the amount of condensation that occurs on your toilet’s tank. Some times, simply covering your toilet ‘s tank with a fuzzy cover will help insulate it and will cut down on condensation.
    specialwingz

• usually our toilet sweats when the bathroom is warmer than the water inside the tank. Mold growth usually arises when there is access moisture. you can try going to home depot and getting moisture absorbant beads, they are white and unscented. place them in a decorative bowl on top of the tank and they might help a little
    GrnMommyofTwins

Answer by GrnMommyofTwins at 4:39 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Ha Ha Look what i found soon after posting:
    One of the simplest solutions to a condensation problem involves no plumbing modification. An electric immersion heating unit with a self-contained thermostat will keep the water in the flush tank at a sufficiently high temperature to prevent the formation of condensation.

A 120-watt aquarium heater placed in the tank will be sufficient. You can mount one using suction cup holders inside the water tank. The heater takes about an hour to raise the tank temperature above the condensation point, so you may get some dripping in the meantime. Also, condensation will continue to form on the supply line since it's filled with cold water.

I have one of those heaters, I'm going to set it up and see if it works LOL
    Works4Mom.com

Comment by Works4Mom.com (original poster) at 6:30 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20050717/news_1hs17heresho.html
    Works4Mom.com

• Well, IDK if you can stop it. It's cuz the water in the tank is colder than the bathroom. Like a mirror when youtake a shower. All I do is put a towel around the bottom of the tiolet and then change it every couple of days.
    TwilightMack

Answer by TwilightMack at 8:54 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• I've never heard of this happening. Learn something new everyday!
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 11:42 AM on Mar. 8, 2011