Distracted driving.. Do you think it's all about cell phone useage?

What do you think can be done to prevent it?

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 1:02 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think more drastic measures need to be taken. You are something like 25 times more likely to be in an accident if you are texting and driving then if you're driving DRUNK. If a drunk person gets a DUI and has their license removed then why shouldn't repeat offenders lose their license if they are driving distracted?
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 4:29 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• ALL about cell phone usage? no.

Prevent it? Personal Responsibility and people realizing the world isn't all about them...  There is no law that will stop the self absorbed from flagrant disregard for the safety of others.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:06 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Cell phones, Radios, Eating, personal grooming, putting on make up, etc. There are a lot of factors to distracted driving. Cell phones just added to the problem.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:09 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• No it isnt about cell phones only. There are alot of things that can distract a driver, from passengers, music to well almost anything. I think the only thing that gets some peoples attention is a car accident sadly. Above that maybe longer drivers tests to get your license so the person giving a test can see if the person is really ready to be on the road.

Answer by gemgem at 1:09 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Personal Responsibility and people realizing the world isn't all about them... There is no law that will stop the self absorbed from flagrant disregard for the safety of others.

So true sad so many are so self absorbed they do things that could kill others. Not much better than the drunk drivers out there in my opinion both kill and both don't care.
    Anonymous

• There's no shortage of shiny things to distract people while they drive. There have always been some. The problem these days is there are so many more of them. I've even seen cars where the driver has their laptop open in the passenger seat. The more mobile devices we have (along with the GPS, 60 preset sat radio, iPod jack, electronic seat controls, climate controls, digital dash that shows every last ml of every "bodily fluid" the car has). Not to mention the soccer moms who are listening to the tv playing in the back seat.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:48 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Distractions are a dime a dozen. Personal responsibility is the only real way to stop it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:58 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I really don't like it when someone who is on a cell phone gives me a dirty look because they are using one hand to drive.
    But other than that I think people are just going to use their cell phones. Maybe auto insurance companies should start handing out blue tooth devices for phones.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 1:07 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• It's not just about cell phones, but while drinking a soda is a distraction, it's a fairly minor one. Cell phones, on the other hand, have been shown to take you mentally "away" from your car and distract you much as drunk driving. Whereas passengers- even small children in the back seat- aren't as bad because we are more able to stay in the moment and leave them be for a moment during dangerous times. And older passengers (even older kids) can even help.

We will always have some distractions, but the worst take us away from the situation (like cell phones) or take our eyes off the road (hunting for stuff). I can't think how using a thumb to page through radio stations without looking, or scratching your nose is a great danger. It can't all be legislated. I tell my kids often "not now, I'm driving", and pray the idea gets through!
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 1:40 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• You'll never be able to do away with distractions altogether. I do try to prepare myself as much as possible before pulling out of the driveway. I make sure my bluetooth is in my ear, ipod set to shuffle, drink is in the cup holder, etc. Everything I might possible need to reach for is put in a place where I won't need to take my eyes off the road. I can reach right to where I know it is. Reaching is a minor distraction - not one that requires my eyes to leave the road.

My BIGGEST distraction is my children in the backseat, particularly my 5 month old. Every now and then she'll make gagging noises (choking on her own spit or gagging herself with her hand). Obviously, I take my eyes off the road to make sure my child isn't dying! I have one of those mirrors, but how clearly can you see with those?

Like I said, you can't do away with distractions altogether, but everyone needs to do their part in minimizing them.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 2:00 PM on Mar. 7, 2011