Does your child(ren) see baby gates and childproof locks as a challenge?

My Children don't see them as an off limits area. Just as a challenge.
This is NOT a discipline issues question. So please refrain from bashing.
Also if you do not use these products there is no need to answer.

mslksdh

Asked by mslksdh at 1:05 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• My son figured out the plastic cover over the door handle to keep him from opening doors in like a week. The latches on the cabinet he didn't really care to get inside after the first couple of attempts. The so called safety latch on the fridge whick is just a sticky side on the fridge and a flimsy buckle was a joke and my son figured it out on the second try. I say just repeat what things they shouldn't get into and be sure to use a really good sturdy lock for household chemicals and cleaner cabinets.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 1:09 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• no. he just thinks it's another toy to play with and figure out how to open them. lol
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 1:10 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Most definitely, put up a gate he is going to figure out a way to get over that gate. **sigh** It gets exhausting trying to stay one step ahead of my son. I tell him all the time he is too smart for his own good. I have to flip my chairs on top of my table that way he can't climb on the table or use them to get on counters or anything else. He's only 18 months old too.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 1:12 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• my 3 year old just climbs over the gates and opens the cabinets. he is too smart for that stuff......unfortunately
    newlife627

Answer by newlife627 at 1:52 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• No, he never saw them as a challenge. He just went right over them, and he had the cabinet locks figured out in less than 2 minutes. It was totally pointless.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 2:39 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Actually that shows a lot of curiosity! As long as the baby proofing is a good product, your child shouldn't be able to get through! If they do, you have a pretty smart child! One that you know will listen to the limits you set, hopefully!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 3:13 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• yep, and the my children usually master the childproofing in anyone's house in no time flat. So instead I spend a good portion of my day redirecting and teaching them what they can and can't touch.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 5:19 PM on Mar. 7, 2011