I want to get my son a dog for christmas

I want to get him a small dog and one that don't grow very big and is good around kids what do you guys think would be the best dog for him? Thanks

hinson7169

Asked by hinson7169 at 11:21 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Pets

• We have a dachshund and it is the best dog ever! I don't like the ones with short hair (they look too much like an actual hot dog), so we got a long haired one and it is the best dog I have EVER had!!! And I have had almost every dog out there.
    Kenzies_momma

Answer by Kenzies_momma at 11:24 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• we are getting our first dog in Jan or so and so I am researching small and toy dogs that are good with small kids. the shitzu is a good one but you have to be careful because all small dogs can develop what they call small dog syndrome if you do not act as the "pack leader" as they call it and set strict boundries and rules for the dog to follow. the shitzu does not shed. good luck. how old is he? from what i have been told my the pound and our vet, the best dog for kids is either a golden retriever or lab.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 11:24 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• he is 8months old and I want a dog that he can grow up with you know
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 11:27 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• My mom's dachshund is SUPER good with the baby. He adores her. That's what I would recommend. He is also a long haired dachshund.
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 11:28 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• how much does dachshund run from?
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 11:30 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• You can sometimes get them at the pound (usually they're mixed). Mine was 250, but he was a boy. The girls run more, because they're girls. Look at Petfinder.com. Sometimes you can find one on there that people are unable to take care of and are trying to find them new homes. By the way, my 9 month old LOVES our dachshund. We also have a short hair dachshund. I find that the short haired ones are kind of hyper and really active. Our long haired one is really laid back and doesn't really do much, so is my cousin's who has a long haired.
    Kenzies_momma

Answer by Kenzies_momma at 11:34 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• We have a Boston Terrier/Pug/. Can still do family outdoor activites, like we love but still a great house dog.....I have never ever heard a growl out of her. She is sooo fun and loves to camp, 4-wheel, run, chase squirrels. I just think they are great all around dogs.
    They are called PUGSTONS
    racingmomma

Answer by racingmomma at 11:39 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• We have large dogs...but one day when they are gone, I'd like to have a smaller dog...not sure what yet since there are so many cute ones. Right now I have an American Bulldog and an American Pit Bull. When our Pit Bull goes, we'll probably get another. I really favor that breed.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:40 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I would go to the pound they are cheep and most have pet chips and shots you can not get a better deal

Anonymous

• We also just got a GERMAN SHORTHAIR, she is has been really well. She is still pup and forget to watch out for our baby, (that just learned to walk) But has been a great dog. LISTEN to them give commands. She is an outdoor dog....
    Any pup you get , full breed that grows up with kids, will be a good kid dog. REMEMBER THAT ALWAYS.... I would be a little leary of buying a mixed breed from a pound or anywhere. That's when you get the mixed attitudes that cause the problems. (i think)
    racingmomma

Answer by racingmomma at 11:43 PM on Nov. 21, 2008