Do you think my Daughter is too tiny?

My doctor told me too add olive oil into her food to fatten her up. I am not comfortable with it because she eats like a horse and looks healthy. She is 19 months, 20 lbs 12 ounces and is 32 inches tall. She is in the 5 percentile for weight but 75 for height. I think she is just a slender girl because she is so active. What do you think?

bellasmami

Asked by bellasmami at 10:57 PM on Jul. 8, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• No she is NOT to tiny.
    My Daughter is 19 Months old... at her 18 Month check up she was..... 22 lbs 10 oz and 33 1/2 inches tall. I was starting to worry, talked to her doctor and he said its cause of how tall and skinny her dad is. He was'nt worried about it. :)
    Anonymous

• Forgot to add...
    Doctor said My Daughters Percentile was 50 Percentile "Normal" for Weight and Height was Above Average over 95% Percentile.
    Anonymous

• The average is 1 lb per inch...that could be why your Doc is worried... However if she is eating healthy I wouldn't worry about it....
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Did your doctor chart her height and weight and check her BMI? (BTW, BMI is different for kids than it is for adults) My son is tall and thin but he is on target for his height and weight.

If you're really worried about it you can give her ensure or some other protein drink. I don't suggest giving her olive oil though. I mean olive oil is healthy but it's fat and giving someone fat to make them bigger isn't all that good. I'm surprised a doctor suggested it! Protein, not fat, would be good.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 11:05 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I have the same problem. My daughter is just like yours. She's just tall and then just like the paternal side of her family. She eats and is active and puts weight slower than other children (I guess). She as developmentally sound as other kids her age. So I am no longer worried.
    Charlyesmama

Answer by Charlyesmama at 11:40 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• get a new doctor. my best friend's daughter is 4 and she's in an 18 month's clothes. she barely weighs 30 lbs. and she's healthy as a horse.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 12:40 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I would not worry sounds like she is going to be tall and slender lucky her lol. My son is 27 mos old and he weighs 22 lbs 8 oz and is 32" tall. He has fell off the chart in both weight and height and his dr says that he is just small for us not to worry.
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 9:29 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Olive Oil... for a child? That sounds like some silly advice. If she is eating regularly and playing hard, that she's got a high metabolism. You can always give her children's multi-vitamin to make sure she's getting proper nutrients.
    PlasticSurgeon

Answer by PlasticSurgeon at 2:00 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• she isnt to tiny. my son is 5 and only weight 34 lbs. as long as she looks healthy to you thats all that matters.
    Grrliepants

Answer by Grrliepants at 2:44 PM on Jul. 10, 2008