What is gluten? and what foods have gluten in them? I want to go on a gluten free lifestyle change.

I have hypothyroidism and I heard that if you quit eating gluten it will help you not gain weight.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Health

• Gluten is a protein found in wheat. You will need to avoid anything that has wheat in it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:34 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluten-free_diet
    look at this website...it will help you out a lot ;)
    good luck!
    chupachyps

Answer by chupachyps at 11:37 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Gluten is a special type of protein that is commonly found in rye, wheat, and barley. Therefore, it is found in most types of cereals and in many types of bread. Not all foods from the grain family, however, contain gluten. Examples of grains that do not have gluten include wild rice, corn, buckwheat, millet, amaranth, quinoa, teff, oats, soybeans and sunflower seeds. (This was a copy and paste)

If you want to go gluten-free, you will need a good cookbook. I would try The Gluten-Free Gourmet by Betty Hagman. Pretty much everything will have to be cooked from scratch.

Baking without gluten is challenging and involves using more than one kind of flour.

We use lots of rice flour in my house. :-)

For most dinners I do a meat, potato or rice and a vegetable.

It will take about three months to get the hang of the diet. Then it's habit.

Good luck.
    thisnametaken

Answer by thisnametaken at 11:40 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Ooh, I found a big mistake in my copy and paste. You need to buy gluten-free oats. Oats are almost always contaminated with flour from the processing.
    thisnametaken

Answer by thisnametaken at 11:41 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Thanks ladies! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Please note that gluten is often a hidden ingredient in foods.

Also, avoiding bad carbs in general, not just gluten-laden ones, should help. The only carbs you should be eating are vegetables. You'll feel a bit irritable for the first 3 days but after that, you'll feel wonderful. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Gluten is found in many foods, and often, those who go on a gluten free diet also include a casien free approach as well (diary related). If you want to know the nitty - gritty about a GFCF diet, the most popular site is www.gfcfdiet.com.

happymom612

Answer by happymom612 at 6:41 PM on Nov. 23, 2008