Severe constipation, vomitting and severe cramping (TMI) adult content

since being pregnant i've been constipated. no big deal to the doc. even when i went 7 days without a bowel movement. he told me to use an enima, the result was ping pong sized rocks and severe cramping. severe pain. so he put me on colace. now i have very small daily bowel movements. very small. i couldn't even eat yesterday my abdomen was so full of S***. i looked 6 months pregnant instead of 3. i started feeling uncomfortable and it escalated to pain and i decided to take a hot shower to relax my abdomen and back sinc ethe cramping was so bad. well my pain went from a 7/10 to a 10/10. i was crying it hurt so bad. then i sat on the toilet thinking somethings got to move and thank god i had my trash can there i started vomitting. (i have not thrown up since 08! i don't throw up usually) then my bowels finally started moving and i filled the toilet 3 times. this is not normal but my doctor is not concerned about it. what else can i do to regulate myself? i eat healthy, i eat prunes, i take the colace, i drink plenty of water.

mrs.trial

Asked by mrs.trial at 1:27 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Health

• I had this issue when I was pregnant. I would seriously cry when I was trying to go. I drank water non stop, sometimes even just hot water because that's supposed to get things going. I'd also drink decaf coffee with a lot of creamer because for some reason it would make me poop.

My midwife had me take colace regularly throughout my pregnancy because she didn't want my bowels to become impacted. When that happens, loose bowels can leak around a large hard stool and its pretty yucky. She said the colace was gentle enough to use that it wouldn't hurt my stomach.
    metalhealthmom

Answer by metalhealthmom at 1:40 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Eat a high fiber diet. green leafy veggies, celery, apple juice, apples, fruit smoothies with flax seed oil, eat fish once a week, Eat bran cereals or muffins, add a 1/2 cup of bran meal to any baking you do, reduce foods like cheese..if you have to have cheese only your serving size. Eat fiber bars, and fiber yogurt. Eating this way will be so much better for baby anyway. I will make a daily drink of Fiberwise which is like Metamucil. Ask your Dr. if you can drink something like that. I hope you feel better.
    Anonymous

• I would try one of the yogurts containing probiotics. I like the Activia!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:46 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Forget the yogurts, take an actual probiotic - a capsule. Also a stool softener might help. What you're going through can't be too normal - can you see another doctor for a 2nd opinion on that matter? It can't be healthy for the baby either! Ouch.
    Anonymous

• is it safe to take a laxitive?
    proudmom611

Answer by proudmom611 at 5:09 PM on Mar. 7, 2011