Is 3 yr old preschool just too young? 2 days a week, 2.5 hrs each class. I can't decide what to do!

beanboysmommy

Asked by beanboysmommy at 1:53 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My now 9 yo daughter started at 2 going 2 days/week for 4 hours, at 3 she went 3 days/week, and at 4 she went 5 days/week. It was a nice gradual progression into full day kindergarten at 5. She loved it - she met some great little friends that she still keeps up with and had a blast! She also learned some pre reading skills and social skills that helped her in kindergarten.

Answer by missanc at 1:57 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• My kids went to part-time preschool when they were 3. It was 3 hours per day, 2 or 3 days per week (depending on which class you signed up for). I thought it was great; I had been a SAHM since they were born, so this gave them a chance to get out around some different children and adults, as well as to start helping them experienced a structured school setting. It worked out great for us. I don't think it's a MUST for every child though...really just depends on your situation.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:58 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• My almost 4yo DS has been going 2.5 hours/day, 2 days/week all school year. It has been wonderful for him! He really needed it though, he's the baby of the family, never went to daycare, had no experience with other kids his age. Now he plays nice, is learning to write his name, is just such a smart little cookie. It was definitely the right choice for us!
    Anonymous

• Keep your little one home for another year. I keep them at home as long as I can but if you want to put your little one in school why not wait until they are four. Then they are a little bit older. You have had them home for another year and they will get some school in before Kindergarten.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:00 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• 3-yr old preshool for us has been a huge success. It also is 2 x week, 2.5 hrs a day. My son was used to be dropped off for a couple of hours several times a week since we use the daycare out our gym, so he did not have the separation issue that some of his classmates experienced. He loves to play with the other kids and enjoys the arts-and-crafts, story times, play time, snack times, and field trips. And it gives me a couple of hours to get errands done.
    macboysmom

Answer by macboysmom at 2:12 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• that's a good start
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 2:17 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• My DS started at 2 5 days a week 3.5 hrs a day and he loves it!! This is our first and the teacher gave us a lot of pointers that helped for our LO. Do what you think your child can handle, after all you know your LO best!
    vjoaquin

Answer by vjoaquin at 4:04 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I'm the behavioral/child developmentalist in an early childhood center. Lots of the kidsthat are there are your child's age. They do well and have teachers to work with them with social skills. It can be a great thing, but not all children do well with three days a week and need to come five days. That's because everyday seems like a first day! But honestly, not all children need to even go to school at that age. If you have play dates and involve them in other activities like arts and crafts, gymnastics, etc. they will have the opportunity to develop social skills. So, bottom line, your child isn't too young at all. It's more of a personal preference and if you have other areas to involve your child. Good luck with your decision!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 9:48 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• We will be sending our 3 year old to preschool next year. He'll go 2 days a week, 3 hours a day. He'll be 4 in Oct.
    Sillieguze

Answer by Sillieguze at 10:12 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• My youngest dd went to preschool at 3 1/2 for 2 days a week, 2 hours each day and LOVED it. She was doing kindergarten work by the end of the year and her teachers thought she was turning 5 and graduating but she only turned 4 a month before classes ended.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:01 PM on Mar. 7, 2011