What age do you think is too young to watch someone give birth?

mslksdh

Asked by mslksdh at 1:55 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Pregnancy

• anything under 15-16 lol
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:57 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• i agree 15 er 16...
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 1:59 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I would think about letting my little ones who are toddlerish actually be in the room with us. We have three though and I think that is a few too many to have in the room and I wouldn't want to choose one over the other. It is completely a personal decision. It is a natural process that we have talked about with our girls and I don't think they need to be that old to be a part of it.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:03 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I can tell you what I think but my values and experiences might not match yours. I know many people would be uncomfortable letting anyone younger than an adolescent watch due to maturity but others believe that it's a natural part of life and want young children included in the birth experience of a younger sibling. Really, it all depends on you.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 2:04 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• 14 and over i think.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 2:07 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• We have a 2yo and a 4yo plus their "babysitters" will also be there whom are both 16. I am fine with it cause if they get bored the girls can otherwise occupy them, but hubby is a little apprehensive.
    mslksdh

Comment by mslksdh (original poster) at 2:10 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• My last birth was a homebirth and my daughters were aged 6 and 4. They were present and were free to come and go from my room as they pleased. Neither one of them was disturbed or frightened or even grossed out. We'd talked a lot about what would happen and gave them the choice. My 6-year-old was very active in the birth and completely awe-struck by the entire affair. My 4-year-old didn't care for the smell of blood and so was there for a lot of the labor and left during the pushing and came back when things were tidied up a bit. It was a wonderful experience for all of us.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 2:12 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• It is a personal preference really. I would judge the maturity and behavior level of the child in question when weighing the pros and cons. Personally I did not want my toddler in the birthing room because I didn't want her to think her new sister changed her mommy into a crazy, scarry, irritable, monster for the period of hard labor. I was glad she wasn't there too because I was free to be natural and true to my needs during the birth.

But with my last baby I let my daughters, 7 and 10, be present. They wanted too and I knew they were capable of behaving themselves so I could concentrate on the birth of out third daughter. This last experience I would recomd to anyone. It was a wonderful family experience.
    studentteach

Answer by studentteach at 2:14 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• True enough, it is a natural part of life. It should be up to the babysitter as to whether or not she wants to be present. I know you're comfy with it, but is she? As for the little ones, I havent done it myself. But, I had a friend who had her 5 & 7 yr olds in the birthing room with her. They were no worse for the wear, so to speak. The bigger issue was when the 5 yr old went to school & decided to tell the whole class her mommy had a baby thru her "gi-gina", as she put it. Totally took the teacher by surprise. LOL. I would advise that if you choose to have the little ones present, do some prepping. Pictures in books, videos...there are some great ones out there. Talk to them & help them be a bit more prepared for the big moment. I know they are young. But, they are smarter than you think. Helping them learn what to expect on their level will be a good thing.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 2:18 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• LOTS of people let their small kids, school age kids, etc watch. Mostly during home births I suppose. I don't think there's any too young. As long as the child has a caregiver who can determine if the kiddo is overwhelmed or grossed out and needs to be removed.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:20 PM on Mar. 7, 2011