Are there any moms who have advice on exclusively breast pumping?

Newborn is a week old tonight... she was breast feeding just fine or the first half of the week... decided to try out the pump and give her milk by bottle. I feel that I gave it to her too early because now she has a hard time feeding off of my breast. She will latch well, take a few sucks and pull herself off because she is frustrated. Maybe because it doesn't come with instant satisfaction like the bottle gives her? It was very frustrating trying to get her to breast feed... and now that bottle feeding with breast milk has come so easy for her AND me. Has anyone ever had this happen to them? I feel like a failure. How did you pump when you had to return to work in order to keep your milk supply up? Is it ttrue baby won't bond with me as well now that she's bottle feeding?

Mskixxalot

Asked by Mskixxalot at 2:15 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Call either your local hospital or the LLL and get an SNS (supplemental nursing system). It will increase your supply and teach her to breastfeed. She will be getting formula, plus breastmilk and then eventually you can go to just breastfeeding. I had to use an SNS for 3 weeks with my 4th son. Pumping never worked well for me, even though I successfully breastfed 4 babies for a year and my 5th for 6 months. I could never get more than an ounce at a time. Baby will bond with you whether or not you breastfeed.

Answer by missanc at 2:19 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Is baby still alive? Then you haven't failed. Only DEATH = failure.

It's still more than possible to get baby back on the breast if you want. Drop by the breastfeeding moms group if you want help there. If you want to exclusively pump (but it's a TON of work) there is a pumping moms group.

Bonding will always be fine no matter how you feed. Want the dirty truth about bonding? It doesn't have anything to do with how baby feels about YOU... it's baby's self defense. We bond so we don't EAT them when we hit frustrating patches like this one!

**grin**

Nothing here is permanent. All fixable. Drop by one of the groups I mentioned and you'll get tons of help.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:20 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• it is not whether you breast feed your baby or bottle feed your baby to get that bond, it is when you hold the baby and feed them while in your arms and sharing that moment.

As far as pumping...you can only pump so long before it runs out on its own, when my first was born, he didnt like breast feeding as much either so i pumped till i went dry. im not entirely sure if this is true but i have heard your suppose to do both in order for the milk to not dry up so soon, pumping will only get you so far.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 2:21 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Exclusively pumping is very difficult...I mean, it's A LOT of work. It is much more work than exclusively breastfeeding and much more work than simply formula-feeding. I have had to exclusively pump, and I am a lactation consultant, so I say this with encouragement and caution at once! The best thing to do would be to not offer her a bottle and the breast only until you must return to work. Find a lactation specialist in your area for further advice and help.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 2:23 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I went back to work when he was 6 weeks old and was able to pump at work, so if dad was watching him or a babysitter he had a bottle, i dont think that we didn't bond because of how i did it, sometimes i think thats just what people say.
    Sometimes if you breast are too full your baby could have a hard time latching on, i would sometimes have to pump some out because there was just to much in there. My son did have a bottle and the breast from the time he was born and i did breastfeed until he was 11 months old. you will be fine, i bet your doing great.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 2:23 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• My best friend's baby never got the hang of latching, so she exclusively pumped for the first year. It was rough at first and very time consuming, but her body adjusted so she was making way more than enough milk. By the time he was 3 months old, her whole freezer was full of breastmilk, she had plenty in the fridge, and she was only pumping 4 times a day. A good quality pump is the best investment you can make. She had a Medela Pump in Style. I don't know about the bonding part of it since I didn't bottle feed, but I think the suggestion of using an SNS is a good one.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:28 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• join the breastfeeding group on here and talk to anLC! ive been EP for over a year now its 10 times the work of breastfeeding! join the EPgroup on here if u need more help to EP if thatswat u really want to do!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 11:50 AM on Mar. 8, 2011