20/20 tonight

Did anyone see the part about the "Safe Haven" thing in Nebraska? I know how some of those mother's felt because my son can be SO OUT OF CONTROL sometimes...but I cannot even fathom abandoning my kids! It made me get up and go give them extra hugs even though they're sleeping. It seemed like most of the problem was the medical care in that state...not enough help for the kids diagnosed with mental illnesses causing mom to go over the edge...

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 11:45 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in General Parenting

• Parenting is not just a title we earn when we become parent's it is an obligation we have to ourselves & society and only then have we fulfilled our respondsibility. This is why mental health is so vital. We all have days when we feel the blues sometimes it's just a matter of having to re-charge, reboot ...replay/repeat but if it last longer than usual, or you feel like this, more often than usual, it's time to seek help. Remember if you had a broken leg you'd need to go to the doctor... hence, same concept. Simply, be well~
    Bellafleurs

Answer by Bellafleurs at 1:40 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I agree. I did see it and my jaw was on the ground for the most part. I don't think I could ever just abandon my babies. I will love them forever and ever, no matter what they become.
    Kenzies_momma

Answer by Kenzies_momma at 11:48 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• This was in The Chicago Tribune today too, It is soo sad!
    lilymama03

Answer by lilymama03 at 11:56 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I don't get that. Ecspecially those mothers who are pawning off their teenagers! Did they really think raising a child was going to be all sunshine and easiness? Some women need to be smacked for their actions.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 12:00 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I agree. There needs to be better help for parents with kids of mental illnesses. I could not believe that one of the kids who was bipolar was apologizing for his illness, things that aren't his fault. I haven't been in that situation, but I have an aunt who is bipolar, and God forbid any of my kids had a problem like that I can't picture abandoning them. it's just a really bad situation I really feel bad for those kids.
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 12:01 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I did see this, although not in it's entirety as I would of like to but I had some thoughts... mental illness is a very difficult thing to cope with for both the patient & caregiver. Having said that, I couldn't be judgemental of the parents. The brain is a very complex organ and there are so many dynamics to it. I wished I could have stayed up to watch it more but I fell asleep. I imagine there was more that they couldn't fit into the show b/c of the other story they had on Gov. Spitzer's affair. However, I willl read further as the post's come in so that I can have a better/fair analogy. What I will say is that, the little watched truly broke my heart.
    Bellafleurs

Answer by Bellafleurs at 12:20 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Until you are in their situation you can't judge them. Unfortunately when your teenager is out of control or has mental problems finding help is very hard. My oldest was out of control and on drugs, the school was calling me every day to pick him up. I called the police, threatned him with juvie (they wouldn't take him) and forced him into an inpatient treatment program and still nothing helped. It finally got to the point where I had to kick him out of the house. He is grown now and doing better but it's taken a long time to get to this point.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 4:48 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I know a person who may have wanted to do this---due to the system and lack of care or poor care for the mentally ill in Illinois. She never did, but I could understand if she just disappeared.
    If a parent has insurance, they give the kid great care, top of the line. When it runs out, or they wind up on state assistance, the kid gets sent back to the parent to deal with---no matter if they are well or not. These kids usually wind up in the prison system.
    romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 12:38 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I do know one thing though, if these children are not under therapy @ a young age & not dealt correctly they can harm even their very own immediate family members. It is a known fact when mental illness is present & they stop taking their meds & or combine alcohol & drugs with their meds, which is often the case, it makes for a very lethal situation. Sadly it is those they love the most who fall victims to their mental disorder. Yes, sadly they kill their own parents or their caregivers or whomever might get in their way at the presence of an episode.
    Bellafleurs

Answer by Bellafleurs at 1:14 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• There are so many components to MI they can become paranoid, schizophrenic, they experience hearing voices. This is not the case in all cases & I want to stress this, however, if left untreated or not diagnosed early there could definately be ramifications. In many cases, there is a lot of denial on the families part about the mental disorder, unfortunately this is why the state/court system is then left with a puzzle & must take resposibility to assure the patient is neither a threat to themselves nor to anyone else. It is important we monitor children's behavior @ a young age.
    Bellafleurs

Answer by Bellafleurs at 1:15 PM on Nov. 23, 2008