IS it true that you cannot drink or smoke if you are going to or already breastfeeding?

BUTTERFLY463

Asked by BUTTERFLY463 at 2:34 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• Well, it's certainly not advisable, but it's still a choice.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 2:35 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• *I* wouldn't do it. The baby still gets whatever you put into your body.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 2:36 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• You shouldn"t do it.

Answer by louise2 at 2:36 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• You certainly shouldn't your breast milk contains whatever you put into your body.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:38 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Well it would be like your baby was drinking and smoking. Alcohol and nicotine go into your breast milk. Your body may get rid of alcohol and nicotine in 24 hours but you breast milk does not. It is not against the law, but it would be terrible for the innocent child's health.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 2:40 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• first lets cover alcohol. Alcohol processes out of your breastmilk at the same rate as your blood. So the general rule is "safe to drive, safe to nurse". So yes, you can drink while breastfeeding. I used to have a beer at the end of the day after putting baby to bed. by the time he wakes up for his night nursing, the alcohol is out of my system.

Smoking, that's a tricky one. There has not been a enough research. What they do know is that nicotine does pass through the breast milk. However studies do still show that babies of smoking breastfeeding mothers still have a lower instance of illness and respiratory infections then that of formula fed babies. Still, if it is a habit you can sacrifice for your baby, its worth the sacrifice. More studies need to be done, but currently the findings suggest that breastfeeding and smoking still offers more benefits to baby then formula.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:54 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Hatsumomo... would you mind telling me where you obtained your information? It is grossly incorrect.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:00 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Hatsumomo is not wrong. There are strips, which are expensive, that test breast milk for nicotine and alcohol. I used to buy them when I would go out with the girls. Alcohol takes a very long time to exit your breast milk. You have to waste like a days worth of milk.
    WARNING

Answer by WARNING at 4:20 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• common sense??? so what do you think????
    Anonymous

• Just like the PP said, there are strips that will test for alcohol and nicotine. I remember with my youngest I wanted to have a few drinks and bought the strips, it took HOURS for me to be able to give my daughter my breast milk. I pumped and dumped for an entire day. Thank goodness I had a stock of breastmilk in the freezer. I never did that again.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 4:43 PM on Mar. 7, 2011