Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do?

Okay so my hubby and i moved in with his dad in dec. To help save money so we can buy a house out in the country. When we moved in my husbands 18 year old sister and her boyfriend were also living here. Now her boyfriend was only going to be staying for a week. Of course it is now march and he is still here, his sister and her boyfriend do not pay any money what so ever and also do not help out around the house at all. I have tried having a family meeting to get them to help out i have tried making chore lists as well but they still do not do anything. I have asked them out front to help out and they say they will but do nothing. We paid our half the rent all the way through june. What can i do to make them help out.


Asked by michelle.coppes at 2:40 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Just for Fun

Level 15 (1,968 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • change the locks on the doors and remind them that nothing in life is for free!!!

    Answer by grismelda at 3:16 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

  • You can't do anything. And honestly, if the dad has an issue, he should say something or remedy the situation. If he hasn't said anything to them - maybe he doesn't think it's a big deal.

    Answer by cheekycherub at 2:44 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

  • not much of anything. you are a renter..its his dad's house..if the dad has a problem with the sister/boyfriend, its his place (literally) to do something about it.

    Answer by dullscissors at 2:45 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

  • Nothing. It isn't up to you. Unfortunate, but true.

    Answer by misses_nick at 2:42 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

  • You FIL should be making them help not you. It is his house. His rules. Talk to him. If you do not like the living situations move out. It sounds like you can afford a small apartment some where. But just do not want to. JMO.


    Answer by louise2 at 2:45 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

  • I agree with others.

    There really isn't anything you personally can do about it. The home is your FIL's, you are just a renter in his home. The best thing you can do is talk to your FIL, explain to him how you feel, and ask him if HE could ask the others to start helping out some. He is the only one that has any control over their behavior in the household and whether or not they help out monetarily.


    Answer by pixie_trix at 3:00 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

  • I am tired of feeling like i have two more children. I already have 4 young ones and another that is due in 2 months. Both my husband and i have tried to talk to his dad but he doesnt want to hear about it. He spent the last 7 years not seeing his daughter because of his ex wife now he has her living here so he does not want to lose her i guess. But something needs to change because i am sick and tired of cleaning up after them and cooking for them and paying bills for them.

    Comment by michelle.coppes (original poster) at 2:44 PM on Mar. 7, 2011