Is a rabbit a good pet for small children?

My daughter loves animals, and I really think we should have a family pet, but we need something she can cuddle. I have been researching all types of small animals, and I think a rabbit might be good for us but I'm really nervous about their chewing habits. Oh, and just fyi, I do not expect my child to be responsible for the care of the pet, that is me and dh's job. Thoughts??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:52 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Pets

• If you have the time to tame one. They are really skiddish if you don't give them alot of attention and some bite. If you keep them in a cage inside it stinks really fast. And if you put them outside they can chew through their cage and run away. Just some experiences I have had lol. Have you thought of a kitten? They are easy to litter box train then when they get older it's really easy to house train them. And when they get older they usually just lay around and mind their own business. You wouldn't have to buy as much to maintain it as you would a bunny. Just a suggestion though.
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 3:00 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• They really are not good pets all around. And they surely are not for children. Children do not listen to the Do not touch policy. They bite, smell, are a big chore, and they are not friendly.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 3:00 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Not really. They startle easily. They bite sometimes,depends on each's temperment. Try to litter train because they poop alot,and don't care where

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:55 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Please remove the bug up your ass Louise.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:57 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Thank you ButterflyBlue for real advise! Do you think a rescuing an adult from a shelter would be a good idea so that I can see how my daughter and rabbit interect? I don't want to have my daughter scaring it because that's just not fair to the rabbit.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:59 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I think it would be too hard for a small child to hold on to. I had one as a kid, at about 4, and though I loved the silly thing, it would scratch the tar out of me every time I picked it up. And it HURT. lol
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 3:11 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Then it is not FOR your child then. Animals are not play toys.

Answer by louise2 at 2:54 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• You asked me what I thought. I gave it to you. Take it or leave it. You have a bug up your ass, not me.

Answer by louise2 at 3:01 PM on Mar. 7, 2011