Are hamsters good pets for 2 yr olds?

Also are hamsters hard to take care of?

becky0829

Asked by becky0829 at 3:00 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• umm i wouldnt but i dont like hampsters lol
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 3:02 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• they're fun to watch running around, exercising on their wheel, taking them out in those rolly ball things

but they're most active at night when people are trying to sleep, can bite without warning and HURT often breaking the skin & causing blood, and have tons of dust/dander

there's pros/cons like every pet
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:03 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• For them to watch,sure
    to handle,no

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:05 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Honestly, I wouldn't get one for my two year old. I worked at a pet store and I got bit by more hamsters than anything else. They may be cute to look at but they are harder to tame and will try to jump out of your childs hand.
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 3:06 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I don't think a hamster would be a good pet for a small child. If a child were to squeeze the hamster and hurt it, not realizing, the hamster could bite the child pretty badly.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 3:06 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Not the best thing! I like hamsters, but they can bite. The quick movements of a two year old aren't the best for a hamster. Plus they sleep all day so not much going on for a child to see!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 3:08 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• The age of 2 seems really young to be handling a hamster, plus many of them do bite. I had a lot of hamsters growing up. I also had guinea pigs, rabbits, lizards.... I would wait a year or two and go with a guinea pig that has been handled a lot or hand raised when he is closer to 4 or 5. Just my opinion.

Age 6 is really the youngest I would go for a pet for a child. We have so many pets here, but my 9 year old just got "his" first pet, which is a rat. That is really his to take care of and handle. My 6 year old is upset, but I told her she needs to wait until age 8 or 9 for something of her own like this, although I might start with a little beta fish for her. She is amazing with the animals and I will be finding a dog for her in about 4-5 years, but it is really important to wait until they can handle the animal. It really makes a difference in their experience and relationship with the animal when they are a little older.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 3:09 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Sorry, ran out of space, I would suggest a beta fish, or a beautiful gold fish or two, or perhaps an aquarium with some frogs or a turtle as a good pet to have for a toddler. He can still help you feed these animals, and he can take part in picking out fun things for their tanks, and even help with the cleaning to some degree. Give him a few years before you start him with the rodents and it should be fine!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 3:12 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Not especially good pets for tots.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:14 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• No...get the a zhu zhu pet lol...seriously, what the difference. At least you dont have to feed them, and they wont bite you.
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 3:15 PM on Mar. 7, 2011