I get the strong feeling that using the label "christian" makes one feel superior to all others. Isn't God against that?

Isn't using that label in this way sort of vain? I don't have a problem with people professing they are christians, but it seems to have an air of "I'm or we are better than you" or "if you aren't one of us, you don't believe in God." What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 PM on Jul. 8, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Their are Christians like that..sadly but however you can't think of an entire religion or race as being just one way. There are people who aren't like that but still are christians. I am one, but I still sin, get mad go crazy and act 100% human and honestly I do things like any other human, but my morals might be different. But yes, some think they are better and condemn others for not being "as good" as them, They are trapped in their religious self-thinking instead of focusing on truth.
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 4:38 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• i think you have this wrong. how is it vain to be a Christian? i firmly believe that God is the way and im not afraid to tell anyone. i dont judge others but i have seen alot of athiests tell me how stupid it is to be a christian and trying to shove their non-beliefs down my throat.
    annak4404

Answer by annak4404 at 11:02 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I think it depends how it's used but yes, I know what you mean and agree that many people seem to throw the term around in order to make themselves appear better then others. A true christian doesn't need to tell everyone. It's a relationship between you and your god.
    ksclueless

Answer by ksclueless at 11:02 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

Thank you this was very well said and I couldn't agree with you more
    JustinScottsMom

Answer by JustinScottsMom at 11:05 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Well, I disagree that God wants us all to feel the same regardless of what religion we are. He's pretty clear that there's only one Truth, and that we must not embrace error. Christians don't believe we are "superior" to anyone else, but we do recognize that God is superior to everyone and everything, and we should obey Him. Certainly Truth is superior to error, wouldn't you agree? If that makes those who are in error feel bad, I'm sorry, I can't do anything about that. All I can do is obey my Lord.
    KiraJenLove

Answer by KiraJenLove at 11:12 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Really? In this day and age, I get the feeling that the label "Christian" makes you weak and foolish, not better than anyone else. So many people are scared to admit they are Christian for fear of being teased or judged...hence why many hide behind the annon option.

I think there's something else causing you to feel this way about Christians.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:13 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I am an athiest and I do my best to respect people of any type of faith.

There are people on both sides of the spectrum, extremeists, that highlight both athiesm and Christianity as being bad.

You have the extreme athiests that tell people that are of faith that they are naive and dumb to believe in the make believe, and then you have the extreme faith believers that will tell you to your face that you will go to hell for being a non believer.

These types of people are the reason that for the past 2000+ years the world has been at war.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 11:22 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• tell me somthing are you a christian?
    EIKCIV

Answer by EIKCIV at 11:46 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• The anonymous person are you a christian? you probably feel that way because you not in Jesus..
    EIKCIV

Answer by EIKCIV at 11:52 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Funny how you feel that way. Could it be YOU who is just insecure and feeling like someone calling themselves a Christian makes YOU feel inferior? I'm Christian and I am NOT better than ANY other human on this planet. We are ALL part of the human race! No matter what color our skin is. I don't think I am better than a NON believer either. God gave all of us free will. We all choose our own paths in life. God will judge us all someday.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:56 PM on Jul. 8, 2008