Do you talk to your teens about sex

I have a 17 yo son and we are fairly open about it. I gave him a condom just incase and he told me his gf gave him a hj for his birthday.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Wow...that's...open...

I start the dialog about sex at age 8, always at an age appropriate level and without inappropriate details.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:20 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• rolling on floorNice of him to share that info!  Yes I talk with my teen grandkids about sex like I did with my kids when they were teens

Answer by admckenzie at 3:21 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Yes we talk about sex. My kids know that if they have questions they can come to us with anything. Right now they are still young only 14, 12 and 9 and we still talk about sex with them. My DH even showed out 14 year old how to use a condom. Not because we want him to go out and have sex, because we wanted him to be informed. I grew up in a very open house and I wanted my kids to grow up the same way. I think it is important for them to feel they have a safe place to talk about these things and not be embarrassed by it.

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 3:22 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Well..my oldest is almost 11...and I do talk to about sex with him.But I hafta tell ya...when he gets older and he tells me his g.friend gave him THAT for his birthday..I do believe I will have a heart attack right then and there,LOL
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:35 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• OMG I think it is so so so important to talk to your kids about it and make sure that they feel comfortable talking with you about it. This day and age its just not practical to tell your kids "just dont do it" because they will. I thank my mom everyday for being understanding and getting me on birthcontrol and talking to me about it. I believe if she wouldnt have i would have gotten pregnant when i wasnt ready instead of now!
    lil_momma_vdv

Answer by lil_momma_vdv at 4:05 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• That's pretty open I'd say. I do talk to my son very openly about sex and he's very open to the subject as well. We recently went to lunch together just the two of us, and he told me how his girlfriends parents asked her if she was ready to get on the pill. They both ended up discussing together and said no, neither of them are ready for it. He told me how the guys at school give him a hard time, but that he really isn't interested in having sex right now - he said once you start you aren't stopping and I don't want to deal with it. I'm waiting I don't think he'll old our for ever, but I'm glad that he is really open about it and I know what's going on so we can talk about it.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 4:27 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Yes, of course.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 4:51 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Yes.  My dd talks to me about her relationship with her boyfriend.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:36 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I think it is great that he trusts you and talks to you. He needs the perspective and wisdom of an adult. I also think it is a little strange that he told you specifically what she did to him....that would be uncomfortable for me. I would feel the need to encourage him to abstain or something and it would be awkward to see the young lady later....lol
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 1:28 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• Hubby talked to our boys about sex. If they ask any questions or hear something on TV and ask, I always answer them. I grew up in a home where sex was looked at as dirty and I do not want my boys to think that. It is something really great and beautiful between 2 people who really love each other.
    mlanderson

Answer by mlanderson at 11:46 PM on Mar. 9, 2011