Gold Panning

Has anyone here ever tried gold panning? Did you make any money?

adnilm

Asked by adnilm at 3:20 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I have tried it, but not to make money. I would think it would take a good amount of effort to earn a minimal amount of money.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:48 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• We went to the mountains and went mining for gems..and all that fun stuff. We went to the place you buy huge buckets of clay/dirt..and it was really neat. We got tons of neat stones, and even had some made into necklaces.. which we could of bought cheaper at a jewelry store. If you are looking for a great fam experience go for it...if you are looking to get rich...I would buy a lotto ticket instead.
    peachwine

Answer by peachwine at 8:12 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• We are looking for a hobby. Something to do on a Sunday afternoon.

Thanks for the answers. I got 2 more than I thought I would LOL
    adnilm

Comment by adnilm (original poster) at 8:13 PM on Mar. 8, 2011

• My husband and I have been gold prospecting for about six years now. Here in Ohio, the gold is fine, and you won't find near as much as down south or out west, but we do it for the relaxation it brings, and the friends we make. We recently sold our "color" to help us through some rough times. I had a little less than a quarter of an ounce and got $240. I don't remember how much my husband had, but it wasn't as much as mine. Anyway, unless you have lots of time and money to invest in going at it "big time" don't count on getting rich, but you can find decent amounts if you are in the right places. I don't know where you are, but if you want to PM me, I would love to talk - it is truly a hobby that I really enjoy. ~~~Barbara
    sunny1961

Answer by sunny1961 at 12:38 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• We panned for gold in Cripple Creek, CO and it was fun for the kids but didn't get any nuggets.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 10:11 PM on Mar. 14, 2011