My opinion...

I am not trying to cause a debate, which is why i didnt put this there, but why cant people respect other parents ways of punishing thier children? i spank my ds because everything else we have tried never worked! i do not leave red marks that last even 2 mins on his bottom. i would never ever rise my hand to a child that is not mine and i wouldnt have to to my own if he wasnt so hard headed. i totally respect everyone who uses other methods and its great to hear alternative methods that might help as he get older and for anyone who says its abusive...my ds is happy, healthy, in a stable home with loving parents, and he is spoiled rotten, all we want him to do is listen. so please people, dont bash and say a mom effed up by spanking her child, she may have tried everything else.

dreamangel06

Asked by dreamangel06 at 3:26 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I think different methods work for different parents and for different kids. I have one that I don't even have to look at funny and he stops what he's doing, I have another one that I can spank and it wouldn't make any difference, and then I have one that only stopped when I spanked him.

Answer by missanc at 3:28 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I spank my son, sometimes other things just don't work. My parents spanked me and I turned out just fine and respect and love them. I never think that they were abusive.
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 3:29 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• i spank also. certain people think they have all the answers. and like someone else said different methods work for different people. not all kids are the same. doesnt make you a bad parent
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 3:33 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• thanks ladies!! thats my point, we had to start spanking my ds young, he as about 1 when he got his first pop on the hand because he kept trying to go for the stove, after trying different things for about half an hr, i popped him on the hand...he hasnt done it since and he's 3 years old now. i hate hearing how other moms are told off for doing something that someone else may not like, when it could be the best way for the mom to do it.
    dreamangel06

Comment by dreamangel06 (original poster) at 3:37 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• It is a lot easier to spank than to use  psychology to discipline, but the latter teaches the kid consequences for misbehavior not fear.

Answer by older at 3:45 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Replace the word "spanking" with "abortion." If people think something is immoral, it's no longer in the realm of "differences in parenting style," and people will get emotional about it.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:46 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• @older the only time my son is scared of me is when he doesnt do as told after me or dh repeating ourselves 3-4 times....we ask nicely and get more commanding as needed. if he does it after being asked, even if its on the 3rd time, he will not get spanked or anything. we are also currently working on introducing the corner to him now that he is able to understand why he is getting put there.
    dreamangel06

Comment by dreamangel06 (original poster) at 3:54 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• @SWasson that is true, and i am pro choice on that issue. but i am getting tired of seeing how all these moms who may have tried everything under the sun are being called abusive when thier child is happy and healthy and are NOT brusied up from being spanked....if there is brusing resulting from being spanked, yes thats abuse.
    dreamangel06

Comment by dreamangel06 (original poster) at 3:58 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Honestly, I think thats what wrong with some of the teens these days their parents didnt give em a good whoopen when they deserved it!! I do believe that there is a fine line between abuse and spanking and it should not be the only form of punishment but a good spanken really did me some good!
    lil_momma_vdv

Answer by lil_momma_vdv at 3:59 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• – collapse
    Spanking DOES NOT WORK or you wouldn't have to repeat it!!!!!!!! Use your brain not your hand. If you can't outsmart a little one then stop being a parent.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:01 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 (hidden) + expand