Should parents of special needs kids have more children?

I have two year old twin girls and am about to give birth to my third child. Now just announcing I was pregnant again when my girls were 15/16 months old invited a lot of sideways glances as it was, but since one of my twins has now been diagnosed as autistic, it's like I'm the most remiss, neglectful mother ever. I KNOW I have more than enough love and patience to go round, and I'm really looking forward to meeting my third little princess. My kids are my world.
However, if I knew then what I know now, or could change things, then I admit, I probably wouldn't have had another... so soon as this at least. But it's happened and I am blessed, why can't everyone else see that?

Twinminator

Asked by Twinminator at 3:34 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• It just isn't anyone else's business and I would tell them so...in so many words. Limiting your family size because of one child's "disability" makes more of certain disabilities than needed and also sends a negative message to your children about the burdens of parenting with special needs. Besides, good parents of special kids are often stronger, more patient, and more dynamic parents!!! Any subsequent children will be lucky children indeed!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:40 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Thats their problem, not yours. Of course you can have more kids. There are alot of people who adopt many many special needs kids and they get kudos for it. I dont see how its anyones business what you choose to do unless they are paying your bills or something? My 17 yr old is my middle child and Autistic. I have 2 kids after him who are now 10 and 6. It didnt take anything away from him. I raised him just like my other kids.

Answer by gemgem at 3:36 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Just because you have a special needs child, you shouldn't have more? NO way!!!!! Kids are a blessing, no matter the situation. My aunt has a special needs child, well now he's an adult. She also took in one girl, who is my ''cousin'' and she's special needs herself, she had 2 children, and my aunt loves all of them.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 3:37 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• People need to mind their business, and keep their glances to themselves.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:41 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• It's really up to you to decide whether or not you can handle having more children. No one else can make that decision for you.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:43 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Children are a blessing no matter if they are special needs or not! People will judge your ability based on their own...if you can do it momma go for it proudly ;)

lil_momma_vdv

Answer by lil_momma_vdv at 3:56 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• You're all very sweet xxx
    Twinminator

Comment by Twinminator (original poster) at 3:58 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I agree with the PPs. It is not my business...it is nobody's business but yours as long as you are taking good care of your babies.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 4:06 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• If you want more children go for it! That child with special needs deserves to have siblings if that is what you want!
    karensue65

Answer by karensue65 at 4:31 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Just because one child (or twins in your case) have special needs doesn't mean another will, but that is totally besides the point. If you want more kids, then you should have them. Just ignore the idiots out there.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 5:04 PM on Mar. 7, 2011