How would you stop your husband if he was using "bad words" all the time in front of children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:37 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• You can't stop someone else from doing something. I'd focus on making sure the kids know which words are inappropriate for children to use (something you do have control over).

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 3:41 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• swear jar sounds fun and lucrative :)
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 3:41 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Lol, my kids made him stop. We were in Target and my oldest DD wanted something and he had told her no, she turned and look at him and said "daddy you are f'n pissing me off!" He was so embarrassed, needless to say he hasn't swore infront of them since. And yes, my daughter DID get punished! She too has never said a bad word since.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 3:52 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• DH doesnt curse much so we don't really have this problem but he listens to alot of rap music and I'm not talking about the censored kind....If I'm in the car with him when he has DD I just remind him that she doesnt need to be listening to that kind of music and I take control of the radio, unfortunatly there is nothing I can do when he has her on his own....I just try to remind him of who he has in the car with him and that she repeats EVERYTHING
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 4:10 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

Agreed
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 1:07 AM on Mar. 8, 2011

• My husband gets time out, just like the children would. We agreed on this, so I'm not just imasculating him in front of our children. He doesn't swear often at all, but it's important to us that if he does do so, and in front of the children, they should see that it isn't acceptable.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:45 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• If he is blatantly and rudely ignoring your requests for him to stop, i.e. not genuinely accidental slip-ups, and they are truly bad words, I wouldn't care if it de-masculated him or not to tell him off in front of the kids! I'd embarrass the heck out of him, and make sure the kids knew you were disgusted with him.
    Twinminator

Answer by Twinminator at 3:55 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Smack him upside the head and tell him to shape up or ship out.
    Anonymous

• We both slip up at times, and the only time I ever say anything is if the words are said in anger toward another person. Other than that, like the PP said, I focus on making sure the children know what language is appropriate for them to use. Growing up, my parents swore occasionally and I always knew that children "couldn't" talk like that...don't think I was scarred for life by hearing it.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 4:04 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• a swear jar.
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 4:35 PM on Mar. 7, 2011