Root Canal....What to expect??

DH has a root canal on Tues and no one on either side of our family has ever had one so I was wondering what should we expect.Will he need someone to drive him home? How about care afterwards? Will he be in pain?

Please don't tell me to ask the dr bc I wasn't there at DH's appt and he's not the type of person to ask questions.

vjoaquin

Asked by vjoaquin at 3:38 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Health

• He'll be able to drive himself. The doctor will numb him up good and then get to work. The length and amount of pain really depends on your hubby and what tooth it is. I've had one in a back tooth and a front tooth and the only thing I found painful was, when I had the front tooth done, I had to have a novocaine shot in the roof of my mouth and boy, that REALLY hurt. And, keeping my mouth open was uncomfortable, but not painful. Afterwards, the tooth will be sensitive, but he shouldn't be in too much pain. But again, it really depends on him. Does he have a high tolerance for pain? I do.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 3:48 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Yes he does have a high pain tolerance and its his front tooth thats being done.

Thank you
    vjoaquin

Comment by vjoaquin (original poster) at 3:51 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Ok, then he should be fine. Like I said, the shot of novocaine in the roof of my mouth was the worst part for me.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 3:53 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I had one last year, and also about 5 years ago. The recent experience was different...advances in dentistry I guess.

Before the shots, they used a topical numbing gel, so I didn't even feel the needle. The Novocaine was administered with a machine that they sort of plug into the gums instead of a regular hypodermic needle. It took about a minute to inject the Novocaine, but since I didn't feel it, it wasn't really that bad -- and I'm a bit needle-phobic, so that's good.

The worst part of the whole thing was having my mouth open so wide for so long. But since the nerve is basically removed from the affected tooth, you only feel general soreness in the area when the Novocaine wears off. Ibuprofen takes care of that. My DDS has a machine that makes a custom crown on-site in minutes -- a computerized thing, he let me watch, it was pretty cool.

I've had worse experiences just getting a filling. GL to your DH. :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 5:16 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Maybe I just had an awesome dentist, but I had little to no pain during my 2 rootcanals. The only pain I had was when they numb the area. I do have a high tolerance to pain, but I am the biggest chicken when it comes to the dentist...and it was nothing :)
    peachwine

Answer by peachwine at 2:08 PM on Mar. 8, 2011