So my 4 year old son and my 4 year old niece are playing with a little stuffed dog and made up imaginary cops that keep trying to steal their dog so they beat them up and shoot them. Does anybody elses children do this?

mimioester

Asked by mimioester at 3:46 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No. My children are not really allowed to play 'violent' games though. If they did try to ply that I would encourage another game or scenario and ask why they picked that game to begin with.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:48 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I don't think it's abnormal. Most kids relate to cops as carrying guns and dealing with bad guys, so naturally "shooting" to them is simply something cops do. If you're uncomfortable with it it's fine for you to stop them but I don't think you need to worry about them turning into violent people or anything...
    Anonymous

• I overheard my 3-year-old once, saying, "Let's pretend we're dead bodies floating down a river!" Hmmm...I have NO idea where/why she would have seen/heard such a thing. No television. No video games. No babysitters. But I also understand that children often use their imaginations to work through things that they can't really understand...they try to make sense of those confusing things by acting them out, so I didn't interrupt they playing.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:52 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Yes. My grandson and 6 yr old dd play that way. She will be the cop and he is the "crook" LOL

Answer by gemgem at 3:53 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• i agree with misses nick, imagination is the strongest, oldest way to learn what life is all about. kids do the darndest things. my lil brother used to take sticks and pretend they were guns. my sisters and i were raised non violent, and so was my brother, till we realized he would do it anyway. he is 14 now, a pacifist by nature, yet he is a registered deadly weapon. black belt in kempo
    Arretsmomma5

Answer by Arretsmomma5 at 4:10 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I guess they don't like cops. Neither do I.
    TwilightMack

Answer by TwilightMack at 9:07 AM on Mar. 8, 2011