I'm so worried about my daughter developing a flat spot!

She sleeps in her crib and she is a side sleeper, constantly turning from one side to the other, but when she sits on my lap, I feel like part of me is always touching the back of her head and when I feed her, she of course is laying on her back. At her 4 month appt, I asked the docv if she had a flat spot and he said she had a very slight spot and that he wasn't worried about it. I, however, am terrified about this so I googled it and women were talking about their kids having to wear HELMETS!!! Now, I'm even more scared. I just bought her a jumperoo which she totally sits up in, so that makes me feel better, but I'm still worried. She always takes her naps in my arms, so I have been trying to position her once she's asleep so that there is no pressure on her head. Is anyone else going through this or at least familiar with this? Maybe some advice for a crazy scaredy cat mama?

BridgetC140

Asked by BridgetC140 at 12:05 AM on Nov. 22, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter is currently getting assesed for a helmet for her flat spot, but hers developed due to a neck issue. I would not worry as long as you aren't putting her on her back all day. Just hold her a lot and hold her in different positions, not all the same. Also do tummy time, use a bumbo, use a baby carrier when out rather than leaving her in her carseat. Just be aware of not leaving her on her head all the time and you will have no worries. They don't helmet children with a small flat spot. No one's head is perfect!!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 7:34 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• since my son was four months old, he has slept on his stomach... when he's on his back, its to play or eat... but now when he eats, he likes to try and hold his own bottle, so its kind of off to the side.. i am not worried or paranoid about anything regarding his head.. due to the fact that he sleeps on his stomach and if your asking if im worried about SIDS, no i am not.. When i brought it up to my dr he said that what ever i wanted for my son was right, he said he has a hard time convincing parents to not be so critical and follow the book type.. he said our son was born very healthy and there was no reason he couldnt do tummy sleeping once he could pick up his head. Good luck,
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:17 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Tummy time! That's what it's all about! :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 12:34 AM on Nov. 22, 2008