Is having a second child harder than having just one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:00 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• IMO yes. At least at first. It is a huge change in how you do everything. How you divide your time, how long it takes to leave the house, your patients is being spread between 2, it changes your budget and the availability of sitters when you want a night out as well(for me anyway) The first 3 months were awful then things started to fall into place. the older the second got the better things got. By one year everything was just about figured out then the sibling rivalry started. Something you don't have to worry about with one child.
    There are wonderful things about having 2 as well. You get baby cuddles again. Your first has a playmate and a friend. You get to watch the 2 of them interact and their relationship grow. It has it's rewarding moments no doubt.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:20 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• It is an adjustment, that's for sure. I can remember the times where I could just put my oldest DD in her carseat and go, then along came my second daughter, not as easy at all to just pick up and go. I am pregnant with my 3rd right now and let me tell yah, I am nervous about it.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 4:22 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Yes much harder.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 4:27 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• It definitely is a transition! I was going to say all of the things the 1st person said.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 4:34 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• For us it wasn't any harder at all. Our second daugther was born when our older daughter was 4 1/2 so she was just about ready to start school when the younger one was born. It took a little bit of adjustment to go back into infant mode, but it wasn't hard.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:43 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• YES... second was the hardest. I have 5. The last three were nothing compared to going from one to two.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 4:49 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• It has been an adjustment for us. My daughter was 4.5 when my son was born almost a year ago. I find it hard to divide my time between the two of them and still have energy for everything else that needs to be done. Also depending on how old your first one is - i find that my daughter has had a hard time with her brother as she was use to the attention on her for almost 5 yrs! So that has been a struggle. But other then that after a few weeks you will be ok with how to handle 2!
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 4:53 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• yes, but once you have 2 you can have 50! LOL really after 2 i had no adjustment! We have 5
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 5:30 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I think the transition from one to 2 was hard, but after that you could have 7 and not know the difference. lol
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:33 AM on Mar. 8, 2011