'Making" kids try new activities

What do you think about making your kids try something new. I was asking my 7 year old about trying something new this summer, basketball, tennis etc. He said no to everything. Then I was talking with some other parents and they didn't give their kids an option. Kind of forced them to do it.

I'm thinking about trying this because really, how does he know he doesn't like it? But if he gets really upset and has a fit or gets really mad do I still make him go??

Just wondering others thoughts on this??

Thanks.

choco_mom

Asked by choco_mom at 4:07 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• Mine dont have a choice. They have to be in one sport at all times. Its part of their job as kids. My dh works and brings home money. I work at home keeping a home and doing things with them. They go to school, get good grades & exercise. I feel its a good thing to instill is all. It teaches them that exercise is fun and they also end up liking one of the sports. Once they like one sport more then another then we focus on it year round and it is "their choice".

Answer by gemgem at 4:10 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• i don't force my kids to try stuff. i give them the choice and if they don't want to then they dont.

but if it is important to you, maybe try a day camp that has alot of differnt things he could do.
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 4:12 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• i think it only becomes "forcing" when the child has given it a try and is not having fun, yet the parent continues to send them. those activities are suppose to be all about fun, and at first they might say they don't want to try it, because they've never done it before. but usually they end up liking it, and if not, it's because it isn't the right activity for them.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:15 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Exactly. My kids all started with trying every sport available in the area. In the end my oldest son was into baseball & some football. My middle son is into weight lifting, cross country & was into wrestling but isnt anymore. My youngest son is into baseball. My oldest dd was into drill team, chorus, dance & cheerleading. My youngest is 6 and she doesnt like softball but plays because she has friends who do (if up to me we wouldnt do it lol), and loves dance & cheerleading.

Answer by gemgem at 4:20 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• yea, i would consider it a loving parental "shove" more than forcing. they don't know they won't like it until they try it. and then you always have the option of trying a new thing when they aren't having fun in the current activity.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:45 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• i do the same thing at home when it comes to food.. "you don't have to eat it but you do have to try it. if you don't like it, that's fine, atleast you tried it" and i might have gotten yucky faces before hand, and they might have REALLY not wanted to try that new food. but they always end up liking it, and if not, i know not to give it to them.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:47 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Thanks everyone, I think I am going to introduce him to basketball and see how it goes. Should be interesting LOL!
    choco_mom

Comment by choco_mom (original poster) at 4:48 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• No, we don't make them. But I do have them choose somthing at the beging of the year that they want to do for the summer, or learn how to do. our 7 yr old wants to go on nature photography hikes (this was my goal as well), my 5 yr old wants to build a train (so we are going to build a toy train from wood), my three year old wants to plant flowers (so we are going to let her have her own little section in the garden), and out 2 yr old wants to ride a rainbow pony (yeah... not sure how we will do that one). We will probably do all this as a family so I'm sure all the kids will go on the hikes with us, and we will all do some wood working, they will all do some gardening, and I'm not sure about the rainbow pony... I we might just have to take the kids on some horse back rides and hope that one of the pony's names is rainbow!! So perhaps there is something that you kid can try that is outside the norm?
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 4:48 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Remember that if you start a sport that has a season (basketball, soccer etc) your child has a obligation to complete that season. Things like tennis that at this age are lessons and not a team sport - if they show that they hate it, stop the lessons.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:09 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I give dd a choice and if she doesn't choose anything I randomly pick something for her, (not just sports) I want her out doing things instead of watching tv
    tirelessefforts

Answer by tirelessefforts at 9:32 PM on Mar. 7, 2011