Tightening the Financial Belt - even tighter!!

I love these advice spots on TV on how to tighten up on expenses, cutting bills, or managing money - well they are great, but we're already doing them! We budget, we spend what we can afford, we work extra when we need to, we've done things around the house to save energy, but now what?!? Prices are still high and things keep breaking down! We need to tighten that financial belt some more, but I need some more creative ideas!?! Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Nov. 22, 2008 in Money & Work

• I just called my cell phone co. & got a cheaper plan, I coupon shop, consignment selling, ebay,craigslist, buy food in bulk (BJ's) , keeping lights off & changing to efficany bulbs hmm thats all I can think of :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Weather stripping on the doors to keep out the cold drafts. Wash in cold water to save on hot water heating and turn down the temp to 68 degrees in the house and use afgans or throws to keep warm. Buy store brands for what you can. Combine all trips into one day or afternoon to save on gas. Shop around for a better rate on insurance for the cars. Get food donations from local food banks and churches.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:19 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I do Online surveys... It helps with Bills or with Groceries... or just for me to spend on myself. My husband works but its nice to have my own money to use or to help with if its needed... check out my blog it might help with that financial belt. http://ashwillison.blogspot.com/ there you go.. have a good one!
    ParkerMommy

Answer by ParkerMommy at 3:01 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Seems as though you're doing the right thing. My husband and I did the same. Trying to conserve with electricity, water, no movie chanels with cable, you name it. Sometimes it's just not enough, as hard as we try. Ughhhh.... Frustrating! I work from home, but while I build my 2 businesses, we still need that extra money for the holidays. If you do want to do something from home, DO IT! I have personally done the surveys, etc... but it takes fOREVER to make teeny bits of $$$, and you put SO MUCH time into it. I am using a system now that will bring in $100 after $100. Now THAT IS HOW I'M GETTING MY CHRISTMAS MONEY.... LOL. A few friends got me involved in this SUPER SIMPLE system. You can actually make your first $100 in a day. It's that simple. If you want to know more about it, just message me. You can only win with this :o)! Good luck with everything!!!
    smboutique

Answer by smboutique at 8:14 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Sounds like you're doing a lot to save. I've been cutting back and really asking myself if I need what I'm about to purchase. We've had several unexpected expenses come up with the house. While I agree that if the expenses are still there maybe bringing in more money may be the solution, I think you should look into reputable direct sales companies if you are going to do something on the side.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• All I really do is cut out pleasures, like getting hair done and buying clothes(even though I need them).
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 12:07 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• There's always more that can be done, however. I find that cutting utilities and groceries is one of the easiest ways to cut back (groceries is a little trickier with teen boys in the house but it can work). We keep our thermostat at 62, unplug items when not in use, take short showers, and do laundry only once a week (about 3 loads). I'm able to work at home one day a week (for which I need my computer) so I got my company to pick up my internet bill each month. I use coupons for everything.

The time to tighten the belt is when things are going well; we've been able to cut back by refinancing our mortgage (few years back), shopping for better insurance (homeowner's, car, and health), holding on to our cars for at least 10 years. selling things we no longer use (Ebay), and most of all, we don't buy anything unless we absolutely, positively need it.
    Anonymous

• Oh I love those spots on TV. Those are for people who make over $100,000.00 a year and now have to live like the rest of us. They have NO IDEA what the real world is like.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 4:58 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Well, let's see. Turn your water heater down or better yet put it on a timer if it is electric, use cold water for laundry and hang clothes to dry. Cut out buying paper towels and use old towels instead or newspaper and vinegar for glass. Keep cleaning products limited to white vinegar and baking soda. Use cloth diapers instead of disposable, use family cloth instead of toilet paper and use handkerchiefs instead of boxed tissues. Cut out cable and try to rework or cut out your cell phone plan. Reuse your shower water to water plants and flush the toilet. Close off rooms you don't use and consider putting plastic up over the windows to provide an extra layer of insulation. Weather stripping, use a fireplace if you have one, and lower your thermostat. Consolidate all errands into one trip and keep your car parked. That is about all I can think of right now. God bless.
    luvmybabieskna

Answer by luvmybabieskna at 8:52 AM on Nov. 23, 2008