Please tell me the difference between all the different kinds of potatoes....

What do you do with each one? Russet, white ect.

We don't buy potatoes very often but if we do I buy red ones as I have a few recipes with them. My husband and I stood there looking at the different types of potatoes this weekend and didn't know which one to buy. Please help.

mommytobrooke

Asked by mommytobrooke at 4:14 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Food & Drink

• The difference with potatoes is largely starch content/texture. You really can't go wrong with a good red skinned potato. The russets are good for baking, they have a dry, fluffy consistency, yukon golds are waxier. If your recipe just calls for "potato" a red skinned will be fine.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:28 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• some potatos are good for baking (idaho) the red potatos are good for cooking in oven with spices, cut up and not peeled, white potatos or Yukon gold are great for mashing, and making gnocchi. They have different kind of starch in them, and although you can pretty much use any potato to do any of these with, that is what is suggested!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 8:29 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• red tastes better to, and are healthier. Its what my DH can eat with him being diabetic. Red potatoes tastes great when u make potatoe salad.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 8:31 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Red potatoes are the best, but if you are making homemade mashed potatoes use the russet potatoes and mix in some cream cheese and chives with a little bit of salt and pepper to taste and garlic powder to taste...they are amazing, my mother is a chef if you need recipes for potatoes don't hesitate to email me at all!!!
    thutch21

Answer by thutch21 at 8:44 PM on Mar. 7, 2011