How can a family of 5 servive off mearly nothing?

I hear all the time that people can survive off nearly nothing. How do they do that? Every where I go cost about 100.00 no matter what for the day.
How can I change lifestyles to not do this?

kalynskorner

Asked by kalynskorner at 4:15 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Money & Work

• We are a family of 4 but I can see what you mean. We don't eat out very much at all, there is nothing to do here that is low cost or free, and one trip to the grocery store for odds and ends cost over $65.00 and not one thing on the list was namebrand. We have as our only luxury the net and it's also a necessity because I take classes online and dial up does not cut it plus it requires a phone line. We have wireless for $40.00 a month and it's not even the fastest but we cut over $30.00 just getting rid of our bare minimum phone line and dial up. I've looked and looked for coupons, everyone's first answer as to how to save money, and have yet to find any for anything we actually use. Even the grocery store offers nothing the way of helpful coupons. Contrary to popular belief, free stuff is not everywhere, not everyone wants to live on beans, and only so many corners can be cut.
    Anonymous

• Don't eat out, budget your meals with the weekly flyers and coupons. Cut back on internet speed, you don't need the fastest. As soon as your cell phones are out of contract, cancel them and go prepaid. Cut back or even cut out cable/satellite; instead look at a Netflix subscription, unlimited dvds or bluRay AND online/game system access.

Stick to your menu when you plan it out.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:21 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• You can do it by not going out as much. Its super easy to spend $100 these days. I try and limit how many times I go out and put myself on a leash basically. I get all the groceries for the week and keep to the meals I have planned. My dh allows once a week for me to pick up dinner and not have to cook (no more then $40). I plan 1 event a month for me and my kids whether its going to a movie (at full price I dont count matinées), to a family fun center or whatever. I also budget exactly how much money per month I have to spend on clothes & other things. It helps to keep my spending in check.

Answer by gemgem at 4:31 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Budget, budget, budget. I plan my meals for two weeks and only buy what's on my list, I rarely go out to eat, I do not have cable, I did get a wonderful subscription to netflix, internet on my phone, no house phone. Instead of doing things that cost a lot we go to the park, have a movie night at our place, go to friends to play games, etc. We do pretty good and it is so much nicer than living paycheck to paycheck.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 4:34 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Uh, what do you DO that costs that much? There's lots of low cost & free things to do in the world. I dont know what you mean exactly.
    Anonymous

• I rarely take out my whole family at a time to eat out. There's too many of us. Special treat only & low cost options. We have 6 kids. You cant take all of them out to eat every week or every month or you go broke pretty quickly.
    Anonymous

• the public library is free, parks and playgrounds are free. look for coupons for museums, roller rinks, ice rinks.
    not eating out saves a lot of money! cooking from scratch saves money too!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:45 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Can you get your family interested in history and the great outdoors? Camping is still relatively cheap. You can go explore local historical areas in your area. Here we have lots of civil war sites, old cemetaries, etc. That's always lots of fun and very educational!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:11 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I know what you mean, I spent about $100 every other day or every 3-4days. We are a family of 5, so ya. Food,gas,rent,electricity, etc. can easily come out to $100 p/day.
    BingsMommy

Answer by BingsMommy at 5:30 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Spend more time with your family talking, laughing, and playing games. Stop going out to eat so much, watch favorite tv shows on the internet and cut off the cable, shop at cheaper grogery stores (walmart), shop at goodwill and other cosignment shops for clothes( i find great things, along with millions of other americans), do your own hair ( follow the directions), plant your own fruits and vegetables. Live simple and you will be happy.
    momofdiva1

Answer by momofdiva1 at 5:34 PM on Mar. 7, 2011