Mild Autism or just a spoiled brat. He's 6.

The psych. at the school says autism but I think his Father just spoils him when he goes to his house then I have to deal with the repercussions.

-screaming when he doesn't get things 'his way'
-refuses to eat anything unless it's what he wants
-expects people to play his games his way or he will pitch a royal fit
-talks non-stop about video games. Like that is all he talks about. All he draws and even when he is playing he is acting them out.
-refuses to do home work because he 'hates' to write. (because he won't write his hand writing grade are awful)
-when I punish him he screams all kinds of awful thing like how much he hates me (I wonder if his dad taught him that)

Anyway he is with his day on Fri night-Sun night and any school holidays. Summer he is with him every other week.

what do you think. Is Dad making him this way. I just have a hard time believing that acting like a brat is a sign of Autism. I have a meeting with the school on Thursday to discuss this more with them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son has high functioning autism and people used to think he was brat because of his disability. I think you should do some research on autism and the various spectrums and listen to the psychologist whose trained to identify things.

Answer by gemgem at 4:34 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I don't think it's autism. My mother works with children with autism and downs, and autism usually tends to make them teeter on the side of not communicating. Your son seems to be communicating excellently. If he is telling you WHY he doesn't want to do his homework. Have you considered ADHD at all??
    GrnMommyofTwins

Answer by GrnMommyofTwins at 4:34 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• If the Psychologist has tested him having Autism, then get your head out of your butt and deal with the fact he has Autism and isn't just spoiled.

Most of what "bothers" can be signs of autism!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:35 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Some of the things you mentioned do sound like high functioning autism. I'm sure his dad isn't helping the matter any though.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 4:36 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• some of these things sound like autism. my cousin is severely autistic and my DF has aspbergers. my lil cousin didnt talk until he was 5. he only likes chicken nuggets and ketchup. he can recite his favorite movies, and does, everytime he watches them. he can fix anything. he fixed the vcr when he was three. he wouldnt make eye contact with anyone but he mom for the longest time. it seemed like he was on a different plane of existence . he is coming around now though. with special schooling and lots of love and attention from his family. my DF just lacks social skills, and can create or fix anything. both are fast learners and extremely intelligent. i dont know if this break down helps but before he is diagnosed by the school i would take him to a specialist
    Arretsmomma5

Answer by Arretsmomma5 at 4:37 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Kids learn from watching parents and other peers. My child is 16 now and at six years old he was severely misbehaving. Sounds like your son is Oppositional Defiant you need to get him to a Child Psycologist and get him properly diagnosed and treated so you dont treat him for the wrong behaviors. My suggestion would be start him on a poster chart of behavior checklist. List the chores and all his activitites you grade in one columne to the right he gets to grade himself at end of week if he makes a positive improvement he get to play on video games. Start a reward and point system it will bring you and him closer together and get his attention. Make him feel a part of thing too, still reminding him you are MOM. Good Luck you guys
    mom4tye

Answer by mom4tye at 4:38 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• There are other signs of autism, but the things you listed could be said of my autistic child. I knew my son was autistic at age two.
    Terryadk

Answer by Terryadk at 4:46 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• also since you and the father arent together, it would probably be good to get on the same parenting page again. even though you are separated, you are still parents together. a united front counts toward a well adjusted, happy child
    Arretsmomma5

Answer by Arretsmomma5 at 4:46 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I don't think anyone on here can answer this for you. You need to see a doctor with your son, one who specializes who kids on the spectrum and see what's going on. Typically a school will claim ADD/ADHD for a behavior issues, but for them to say Autism, I would be concerned.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 4:59 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• It absolutely could be autism or Asberger's Syndrome. And if the psychologist at school is telling you this, I would take it seriously.

Go see your pediatrician, consult a child psychologist and find a way to work with your ex. Even if these are behavior issues, you have to find a way to work together.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 5:11 PM on Mar. 7, 2011