When your child graduates from High School, what is it that you would like your child to know?

I'm just taking a survey for my own curiosity. I substitute teach and the school district where I am, asked the students at a school I did a long term subbing job for--what was the 5 things they wanted to know upon leaving High School. Hence, I present the same question to you.

yowza

Asked by yowza at 12:25 AM on Nov. 22, 2008 in General Parenting

• 1. To always, ALWAYS be herself.
    2. To pursue her dreams no matter what. Not anyone else's dreams. HER dreams. Never underestimate herself and what she can do with her life.
    3. To be open-minded and willing to listen.
    4. To think, and form her OWN opinions.
    5. To love. Period.
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 12:28 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• 1. Always be on time
    2. how to write a check and balance a checkbook
    3. how to write a proper resume,business letter and thank you note
    4.to have the ability to NOT follow the crowd/mob/popular opinion if they really want to.
    5. to understand how CREDIT works and can ruin your life when mishandled
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:30 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I don't want to pick five, it's too hard! My sister-in-law is about to graduate and the thing I tell her most often is to take it slow! You've got a long lige ahead of you so don't try to live it too fast!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 1:58 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• 1. Life really is too short, enjoy your childhood because that ends very quickly.
    2. Do what truly makes you happy.
    3. Learn from mistakes, but never regret.
    4. Just be yourself no matter what.
    5. Always forgive, but never forget.
    6. Integrity is the true measure of a man.
    Cindrella72

Answer by Cindrella72 at 2:36 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• How to be financially responsible
    How to have healthy intimate relationships and when to let go of unhealthy relationships
    To be true to yourself
    Have fun and live in the moment

I'm sure there is more, but that's the top of my list-
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 12:29 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• 1. Know who he is.
    2. How to balance a check book and not use credit cards.
    3. How to interact with people from all walks of life.
    4. How to accept instructions from teachers/bosses.
    5. How to seperate emotions and logic.
    TurksMommy

Answer by TurksMommy at 12:41 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• 1. Employers don't care if you have a party to go to. They care that you show up for work.
    2. Landlords want their rent, not excuses.
    3. The "Bank of Mom" is for emergencies only. Not to bail you out because you blew your money.
    4. Don't have children until you are ready to support them because I raised my kids and I'm NOT raising yours.
    5. You always have a home with me. Remember that when life beats you up and you need a safe haven.
    AuntieM

Answer by AuntieM at 1:10 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Rod Stewards song "forever young" comes to mind. I think that comes pretty close to how i feel when my kids graduate. They wont truly understand the power of your words of love, respect, honor, & pride that you have for them until they have changed places with you & they are the ones standing there watchin their own children graduate. Then all your words will floud back to them and at that moment they truly understand. just like they dont understand how you could possibly love them more than they love you, until they are holding their new born child....that when you pat them on the back, and say NOW you understand how much i love YOU! oh, yeah, its worth the wait. beleive me!
    Anonymous

• I would want my boys to know just how important getting a good education is. I would want them to know that the only limits to their success in life are those that they set upon themselves. I would hope that they have the self confidence and the resilience to deal with whatever life may throw at them. I would also hope that I helped nurture a strong mind and sense of self worth so that the "wrong" people would have no influence on them. I would hope that they grew to be strong , honest and well rounded men who knew the difference between right and wrong, and that they picked the right more often than the wrong. I would hope that they would walk the path of a good Christian in their journey through life. I could go on and on...........................
    hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 3:42 PM on Nov. 22, 2008