what do you make of this?

an aquaintance of my husbands has really bad social skills. He started shoving this gift giving idea down my husbands throat and my husband politely said "We are really strapped for cash this christmas and cant afford to buy gifts for a lot of people. We are not even sure how we will swing gifts for our son. So please dont feel obligated to get us anything as we can't get you anything" So This guy puts a $20 bill in an envelope and leaves it up at the service desk where my husband works with a different employee and a note on the outside saying "Here is $20 to buy me a gift since you guys cant afford to do it" cont

humaniterian87

Asked by humaniterian87 at 12:26 AM on Nov. 22, 2008 in Relationships

• anyways I am mortified that my husbands coworkers know stuff about our finances as well as a little irrtated that I am now OBLIGATED to go and spend time shopping for this guy. I have a brand new baby and hardly have time to shower. Now I'm supposed to haul my baby out in the cold and and shop for someone I dont have a clue what to get. I just dont know how to get rid of this guy. Ugh
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 12:28 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Be a smart ass right back at him! Just put the 20 in an envelope with a note that says "Maybe you can afford some new friends'. Maybe you shouldn't say that but you did say that you wanted to get rid of the guy. I can't believe someone has the nerve to do something like that.
    Kenzies_momma

Answer by Kenzies_momma at 12:32 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I would kindly return the $20.00 and thank him for the gesture. I totally understand the financial situation you are in, but if someone did this to me, it would make me feel slightly irritated and annoyed. I don't think it's nice to presume what anyone's situation is, or to judge or criticise them for it. So like I said, if it were me, I would return the money, kindly, with a note thanking him but not accepting the gesture.
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 12:34 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Wow, I can't believe some people!! WTH
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 12:44 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Be a smart ass right back at him! Just put the 20 in an envelope with a note that says "Maybe you can afford some new friends'. Maybe you shouldn't say that but you did say that you wanted to get rid of the guy. I can't believe someone has the nerve to do something like that

. ~~ I think she said it best!!!!!!

LiFeOVeRForTY

Answer by LiFeOVeRForTY at 12:46 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• You could just put the 20 dollars in a Christmas card and let that be his gift. Tell him to buy himself what he wants. I agree that it was wrong they way he did it (he should have been more private) but maybe he REALLY wants to get you guys something, or has already bought something, and was trying to be kind. That way he doesn't show up at work with a gift for your DH and your DH doesn't have anything to give him. He may have thought that would be embarrassing for your Hubby.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 12:47 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Uuumm. Dude has some issues. Why does he have this obsession with getting a freaking gift from you guys? He obviously has the money, why can't he go buy something himself? You know what I'd do, I'd buy a gift for Toys for tots. Keep the recite, and the print out they give you at the shelter. I'd send both of the receipts to him with a note that says something like "Your cash went to good use. I bought a gift for a child who doesn't have twenty dollars. Merry xmas!"
    OOHPFG

Answer by OOHPFG at 12:50 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Give him back his $20 as his "gift" and then cut ties with the guy, he sounds like a total creep!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 12:59 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• lol katiecrandall he IS a creep. Calls and texts me all the time and was banging at our door the day after i came home from the hospital after having my baby. I know when I worked with my husband he had a bad crush on me but seriously that was 18 months ago and I'm married with a baby. Get a clue.
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 1:01 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Umm..there is a time to be nice and a time not to be nice. Senor Tacky just pushed the 'not nice' cue. This guy sounds like he may be obessed to a degree with you and yours. Have your husband hand him the $20 and tell him in no uncertain tones "you were out of line and it was uncalled for. Leave us alone" If he continues to bother you be even more blunt. I'm not a fan of hurting someones feelings, but some people have no social skills and have no clue on how to take a hint. Best of Luck to you.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:23 AM on Nov. 22, 2008