If your baby was sick and you had blood work done and withe blood count was normal but the doctor prescribed azithromycin would you still give it to your baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:53 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Why did the doctor prescribe it?

Answer by louise2 at 4:58 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I would go ahead and give it to the baby tonight, but call tomorrow and get a good answer why you should continue. I'm a big stickler for making the doctors explain things to me. Even if the answer is "We don't know exactly what is wrong, but this really looks like a bacterial infection" I'd be okay with that. Medicine is imperfect. I know in general that bacterial infections cause a pretty quick increase in white blood cells because these are the cells that fight off the infection. BUT, I don't know the whole story here. If she was getting better but then the fever spiked again, that's usually a secondary infection. And I don't know anything about how they do the WBC counts - the machines make mistakes sometimes (no assay is perfect). Maybe the count came back in the high end of the normal range... could signal the beginning of the body's response to the infection. You need to ask.

Hope your baby feels better soon!!
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 9:48 PM on Mar. 8, 2011