Does your school really have a zero tolerance for bullying?

I remember when I was in school, we would walk throught the halls, keep our hands to ourselfs and for the most part keep our mouth shut.

Did we do rude & crude jesters to each other? no. Did we throw condoms at girls? No! Did we do sexually inappropriate things to our classmates? NO!

If I send my child to school with cuts, bruises, burns and so on, I would be reported to child protective services and rightfully so. If I send my child to school, with none of the previous mentioned but he comes home with a bloody mouth, torn clothes or advising me that he was spit at in the face why doesn't child protective services contact the school? Why is this ok to happen in the schools? Why is happening in our schools? Why aren't the schools taking more proactive actions on this very serious matter?

Onmyown2727

Asked by Onmyown2727 at 4:57 PM on Mar. 7, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I *thought* my DD's school had a zero tolerance policy in place for bullying, but it became clear to me that it is only in *some* cases when my DD came home with bruises around her throat and her clothes dirty because a group of boys grabbed her by the throat and threw her on the ground, then kicked her. She got in trouble earlier that same week for talking at lunch(!) but these boys didn't even get talked to at all! These were all 1st graders, by the way. She has since been punched in the eye and kicked, both leaving bruises, but nothing is being done. I do wish they took these things seriously!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 5:03 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• things like that are not happening at every school. if we have a zero tolerance rule I dont know about it but we have NEVER had any issues like that at our school.

for reference Im in a large elementary school in so. cal (800 students k-6th)

Anonymous

• i thought my sons school was.. but he gets bullied sometimes .. he is the SMALLEST kid in his clas/school... literally. during open house his teacher tells me i should hold him back because he is really small..
    kids in his class would call him 'tiny' he doesnt mind being called ltitle an small.. but 'tiny' bothers him so much, he used to come home crying.. i wrote a letter to his teacher about it..

my husband taught him to ignore it and not let it get to him.. an now he just doesnt care about people calling him tiny.. he knows he is small..
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 5:08 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• our school system 'has' a zero-tolerance policy. the problem is, it just states bullying will not be tolerated. there is no laid out plain for how they deal with it to prevent, how they deal with it directly, and what steps are taken for the the bully and the bullied.

This is a big issue for me as my son was physically bullied in K, and we live in a nice suburban district with an otherwise great school. It was that ONE teacher (who'd been there for 30+ years) who refused to deal with the bully.

I've learned a lot since then. Never AGAIN will i let it happen more than one day. The schools have the responsibility to educated our kids and keep them from harm while in their care. They won't release a child to the wrong person, but they'll allow a peer to physically harm? Ha, don't think so. I guarantee if my child gets hurt due to negligent supervision again, i will press charges against the school for negligence.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 5:21 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• The problem is parents don't fight the schools hard enough for our rights, and our kids rights. We expect that they will take care of an issue like this. I did. Parents need to DEMAND our kid's right to a SAFE education, free from abuse. I learned the hard way, like a lot of parents. Now i speak out as much as i can so parents know that we have rights. Our children have rights. The schools in America can no longer ignore, pass blame, or sweep problems under the rug. The schools, bus drivers, teachers, staff...they are ADULTS and need to be held accountable for their inactions.

*Breath*
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 5:26 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• And just for the record, my son since then has had wonderfull teachers who deal with these issues in their classroom, directly, effectively, and appropriately...THESE are the teachers we need teaching our kids!
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 5:29 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• In my experience, the real bullies in the school are the teachers and administrators.
    Anonymous

• to be honest- if there was really a ZERO TOLERANCE policy...there wouldn't be very many kids in school anymore...
    let's be honest. Schools get money based on how many kids show up every day and whatnot-at least the high school my kids are in is like that so the chances of them suspending anyone or kicking kids out is pretty slim
    I don't think they keep on these things enough and it is VERY frustrating if your kid is the one being picked on
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:52 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Did we do rude & crude jesters to each other? no. Did we throw condoms at girls? No! Did we do sexually inappropriate things to our classmates? NO!

Exactly how long ago did you go to school?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:21 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• they say thy do, but really they don't, because i have had so many problems with my teenager being picked on and they don't do anything.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 8:01 PM on Mar. 7, 2011